Any guesstimates on how many calories in this?

Options
carrieous
carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
I made pulled pork sandwhiches in my crockpot yesterday

a big hunk of pork cooked in a litre of rootbeer that is later poured out (so do I count that??)
about 1/3 bottle of bbq sauce
served on a sesame bun with one slice cheddar cheese

Replies

• fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What type of pork? How big of a portion for the pork and sauce (ounces/grams)? I would count the root beer because the sugars from the liquid infused with the meat.

Lean pork loin is about 33 calories per ounce. Calorie contents should be on the package for everything else.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd add the ingredients one at a time, and only count half the root beer. What you poured off would include some water and fat from the meat. I don't think you could tell exactly how much was discarded by measuring, so I'd go for half as a guesstimate.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    That helps, thank you. I am not much of a cook so i dont know what the cut is called- its the big round thing tied up with string?
  • Maple669
    Options
    When in doubt I overestimate.
  • sarashiveley
    sarashiveley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if you go under the food tab on here there is a tab that comes up for recipes. put in everything you put into the meal and it'll save it for you and it can estimate by the portion size and everything how many calories your meal was. hope this helps
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That helps, thank you. I am not much of a cook so i dont know what the cut is called- its the big round thing tied up with string?

My guess would be a shoulder roast. But a lot of pork roasts getted tied so it could be almost any type of roast. A loin roast is usually more tube shaped, lighter than a shoulder, and typically has a thick layer of fat on top. Shoulders are more of a "hunk" and a littler darker (more red) than loin and the fat is more marbled throughout.