Lifting accessories, good or bad?

Options
Two weeks ago I asked about hack squats vs. free weight squats (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/888530-hack-squats-or-free-weight-squats) and I've been doing squats with the barbell ever since. I noticed that my gym has several “accessories” in the free weights area and one of them is a Manta Ray, and of course I’m tempted to use it because the bar really hurts (I’m sorry if I sound like a girl but … Yeah, I’m one.) Now, my question is; what are the benefits and drawbacks of using a “Manta Ray” accessory for squats? If I use it, will I reap all the benefits of squatting with a barbell or will I be hindering my progress? I ask because one of my priorities in starting a weight lifting program is to make my core and lower back muscles stronger. I've included a picture of the accessory just in case. Thanks.

manta_ray2-sm_zps56b2489d.jpg

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    The more accessories, the less work your muscles do, which in turn makes it take longer to get results
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I use the Manta Ray because it kinda distributes the weight better instead of having one spot hurting like a b*tch. My husband and his lifting buddy use a neck pad with the bar so i don't know why it would hinder the effectiveness of doing your squats
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I don't agree about the more accessories, the less you work out your muscles. I use gloves with some equipment because my hands hurt if I don't. Using the gloves I am able to handle more weight and have better control on the exercise. From what I have read about the Manta Ray, it will probably help you avoid injury lifting heavier weight as long as it fits you properly.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I suppose as long as you maintain proper form.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't agree about the more accessories, the less you work out your muscles. I use gloves with some equipment because my hands hurt if I don't. Using the gloves I am able to handle more weight and have better control on the exercise. From what I have read about the Manta Ray, it will probably help you avoid injury lifting heavier weight as long as it fits you properly.

gloves are gloves...they just prevent you from developing blisters on your hands...im saying something that will help you lift the weight will hinder your results
  • Maybe_7
    Maybe_7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wrap a towel around the bar, it hurts a lot less. And I don't think it will affect the effect of the workout at all.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

gloves are gloves...they just prevent you from developing blisters on your hands...im saying something that will help you lift the weight will hinder your results

I have no clue what the accessory is but how is it "helping" you lift the weight? I use the pad that wraps around the bar because it tends to dig into my back and is uncomfortable. In no way is a pad "helping" me lift the weight. It's all me. It's just making it more comfortable for me to do so.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The Manta Ray is just an accessory made of hard plastic that snaps onto the bar and goes on the shoulders.

manta-ray-squat-device_zps78458a1c.jpg(No, is not me but just an example of what it is for and how it's used)
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    The Manta Ray locks you into a high bar squatting position which makes it more difficult to sit back into squat. The result, more stimulation to your knee extensors and less to your hip extensors; which is fine for most people as long as you don't have any knee problems and you're looking to pack on some quad mass. If you do have knee problems or you are more concerned with building your hamstrings/glutes then I would stay away from the manta ray and squat with a very low bar position (which will also stop the bar from hurting your back) and learn to sit very far back into your squats. It's really just a matter of preference and what your personal goals are.

A lot of people are mentioning that the bar hurts when they squat. This is almost always a problem with how you hold the bar on your back and can be fixed by taking a lower bar position and squeezing the muscles of your upper back together very tightly before lifting the bar out of the squat rack. Once you learn to do this properly it won't be necessary to use a towel or a manta ray.
  • DoIEven
    Options
    Put the bar across your traps instead of your neck. pull your hands as close together on the bar as you can to squeeze your traps together for a meatier surface for the bar to rest on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That looks to put you in a really high, high bar squat. I would avoid it.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    The more accessories, the less work your muscles do, which in turn makes it take longer to get results

So the manta ray has muscles and helps you pick the weight up? It's not a squat suit dude, it's a piece of plastic.
  • George1567
    Options
    Years of on again off again attempts a squatting I have tried smith machine, pads, towels, Manta's, and who knows what else. Now days it is heavier weight than in the past with nothing but the bar. When you find the correct bar placement across your shoulders there will be no discomfort. Proper contraction of the shoulder muscles will move the bar contact out much wider and not pinpoint it on your neck. The pads and Manta move the bar too far (high) up the neck, not where you want it. My wife has worked into barbell lifts over the past year and has been able to find placement that does not hurt.

Unless you have previous injury or some type of "non-normal" neck/shoulder condition I have to chime in and agree with the say no to accessories for squats.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow! I’m glad I asked and I will practice your suggestions for the bar placement a.s.a.p. Thanks for the answers.:happy: