Cleaner & Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie

Options
PrivateVenue
PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
A Cleaner Shepherd's Pie

5 medium russet potatoes, washed well and chopped (leave the skin on, it's good for you!)
2 1/2 tblsp unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk if you swing that way)
2 1/2 tblsp (Greek or regular is fine)
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 onion, roughly chopped
1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can green beans
1 c frozen broccoli florets
1 c frozen peas
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot boil or steam the potatoes. I prefer to steam them because they have a better flavor, rather than boiling it all out. Let them cook for around 20 minutes or until tender.

2. Heat your oil in a pan on medium high heat (or 7 on my stove), add onions. Let them caramelize, 3-5 minutes, and then add your turkey. Cook it until brown, just don't forget about it like I did, otherwise you'll have some black spots, too.

3. When your turkey is properly browned, set it aside because it's probably just about time for the potatoes to be finished. Use a colander or whatever you prefer to separate the delectable taters from the water. In a large bowl, dump in the potatoes along with the milk, yogurt, and salt and pepper. Now, mash to your heart's content! (The reason why the measurement for the milk and yogurt is kinda weird, is because I actually used 10 potatoes, yeah, I got carried away, and 1/3 c milk and yogurt. Well, that was way too many so I split the mashed tots and only put half on the shepherd's pie.)

4. Once finished with your potato homicide, turn the heat on for the turkey, pour in your can of diced tomatoes, green beans, peas, and broccoli (once again, I'm retarded and I didn't check to see what frozen veggies we had, I just saw bags and was like, "Oh yeah, we totally have corn." We didn't, so we improvised with broccoli and peas). Salt and pepper to taste again and once everything is warm, put it in a 9 x 13 dish and spread it evenly.

5. Now spread the mashed poe-taw-toes on top of the meat and veg mixture. Now sprinkle your cheese on top, put it in the oven and wait about 20 minutes or until it's bubbly and amazingly melted.

This recipe has a whopping 12 servings and only... are you ready for this? I don't think you can handle this, alright, I'll tell you... 186 calories!

Yeah, pretty good, huh? If you don't have a big family or don't think you can eat all 12 servings within the time that it'll still be good in the fridge, split the recipe into two square pans and pop one in the freezer.

I hope you guys like this as much as we did!

Replies

• Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    sounds delish !! Bump
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My husband loves Shepherd's pie... I'll definately try this out! Thanks for posting
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Going to try it. Bump.
  • LBJordan99
    LBJordan99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy thank you
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    thnx for sharing. sounds lovely.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    can i ask what you were putting in it before that had gluten in?

shepherd's pie (or cottage pie if not using lamb) consists of ground meat, onion, carrots and peas, topped with mashed potato. it's one of the cleanest dishes out there...
  • PrivateVenue
    Options
    The way a lot of people, my mom included while I was growing up, made it was with store bought tomato soup. It is a pretty clean dish anyway, absolutely, but without the tomato soup you're not eating gluten or high fructose corn syrup.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The way a lot of people, my mom included while I was growing up, made it was with store bought tomato soup. It is a pretty clean dish anyway, absolutely, but without the tomato soup you're not eating gluten or high fructose corn syrup.

oh wow! that sounds more like a potato topped pasta sauce. sorry, i'm not being picky or anything. coming from the uk, shepherd's was a staple as a kid. i've just never heard of it being made with any kind of tomato :smile:
  • PrivateVenue
    Options

oh wow! that sounds more like a potato topped pasta sauce. sorry, i'm not being picky or anything. coming from the uk, shepherd's was a staple as a kid. i've just never heard of it being made with any kind of tomato :smile:

Well, we are a touch weird over here. :)
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    lol oh so funny shepherds pie with gluten ha ha ha soooo funny

sorry i am a brit i didnt realise there was gluten in there
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options

shepherd's pie (or cottage pie if not using lamb) consists of ground meat, onion, carrots and peas, topped with mashed potato. it's one of the cleanest dishes out there...

This is how I make mine (but I do top the potatoes with cheese). We actually just had it on Tuesday. One of my husband's favorite dishes!
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new recipe. I just had an amazingly delicious store bought shepard's pie the other day (after not eating it since I was a kid) and realized how great it is...only the store bought had about half my daily calories per serving!! So happy to have a healthier version to try at home :)
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mmm, any excuse to eat some mashed potatoes is a fine idea. I'm afraid potatoes are definitely one of my weaknesses - like the hobbits say "Boil em, mash em, stick them in a stew.."

I like the way you write up directions.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

Oh maaaaaaan I want this so much right now
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump