The day after...

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm still fairly new to this whole actually really exercising thing. I've been shooting for 5 days a week of decent work out. However after doing this for about a month or so I'm having a REALLY hard time getting myself up and moving on the day after my "rest day". Today I feel even lazier because not only did I "take the day off" yesterday but I also had a free day yesterday as well. So, I'm feeling extra lazy and kind of just tired. In short. I DON'T WANNA!

I'm tempted to just say screw it and relax again today, but historically, I know this is a slippery slope.

How do you motivate yourself on these days?
Any ideas on how I can get my body to agree with my brain that "no no really, you should exercise"?

Thanks.

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I very very rarely (when I was being successful ... which I am again but I am sick atm) took a day totally "off". Maybe 2 a month when i was being completely successful. BUT I would have "light" days where all I would do is take the dog for a light walk, even though it's not the same level of effort, I got UP....the pattern seems to help. Or some gentle yoga on an off day. Or sitting on a swing in a park. Just get up/out for 30 minutes (it's only 2% of a day) and don't exert yourself.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless I have overdone it and need absolute rest to avoid injury, I just do something to ill in the time and maintain the habit. Today was a rest day from resistance, and I have dance classes tonight, but I still did a short Zumba class on intermediate this morning. And I may still do something with the Wii fit this afternoon because I am freezing.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2 months in and haven't been super regular at the gym. I realized on my way home this week, there has never been a time I drove home and thought "I wish I wouldn't have gone today". But a day of guilt is overwhelming to me!! Not only do you physically feel better, but emotionally too.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not like I just sit around. LOL, I'm still active on the days I choose not to work out. I have 2 kids and no car so I'm pretty darn busy. When I say a day off I mean a day off from doing an actual work out.

I'm just have the hardest time getting up today.. I need someone to come over and poke me with a stick until I get off my butt.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I say "I don't wanna"... Hulk says do it!

jBf4oGR.gif
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

jBf4oGR.gif

Can I borrow him today?? Or can someone friend me and harrass me until you see me log my exercise tonight at least, lol...
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just do something. Once you are done you will feel so much better. I would also suggest that you do not have "free days" (I assume you mean diet related) on your off days. Unless you are really disciplined that is a bad combination. Less activity + more food will often = lethargy the next morning.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options
    Just do something. Once you are done you will feel so much better. I would also suggest that you do not have "free days" (I assume you mean diet related) on your off days. Unless you are really disciplined that is a bad combination. Less activity + more food will often = lethargy the next morning.

It was basically the worst idea I've ever had. But I tell you, the red wine and lamb were wonderful. WONDERFUL.

and I'm still sitting here.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options

jBf4oGR.gif

Can I borrow him today?? Or can someone friend me and harrass me until you see me log my exercise tonight at least, lol...

I will if you will.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The day after is most important!!!!! Decide to make this time different, and get your butt moving!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup. Unless your missing a limb or on fire get your butt out the door.
  • Neria1235
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup. Unless your missing a limb or on fire get your butt out the door.

I'm going to borrow this and tell it to myself everyday when that 4:30 alarm goes off. :)
  • ThatSoundsHard
    Options

Thanks.
    Can you just stop by and say this on a regular basis?
    Sometimes, I just need someone to tell me I'm lazy and probably going to be fat forever if I don't do something about it.

I did it! LOL. I finally got off my butt and did some yoga and aerobics. Then, I walked to get groceries. Thanks everyone.