high protein/low carb

Options
I read all the usual suggestions from searching on Google but I would like some new suggestions not many people think of. I don't like canned meat or cottage cheese so I need some ideas.

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Meat. Offal. Avocado.

How low carb? And why?
  • madeleinepaige95
    Options
    I have followed some great protein bar DIY recipes online.. all natural with sunflower seeds etc. Full of protein, cheap to make and really satisfying! i recommend giving it a go.
  • I only want to eat about 50 grams of carbs per day. The rest will be meats, veggies, and fruit. I'm trying for the right amount for faster fat loss. My recommendation on here was 180 grams of carbs per day and that seems ridiculous.
  • I like the idea of recipes but I need store bought stuff. I have a 5 month old, school, and a house under my belt right now so cooking is low priority.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Fish, tuna (although my favorite is the canned albacore variety LOL), eggs, string cheese, turkey & chicken breast, quinoa, Quest Bars.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Check out TNTMan's blog

http://tntman.wordpress.com/

Some great recipes and ideas and he is a big advocate of the TNT Diet by Alex Campbell.

Mens Health forum has it's own TNT Diet message board:

http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1991017124
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies all contain carbs.
  • JenniferD83
    JenniferD83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't eat bread/pasta/rice/potatos/oats/sugar and my carbs are usually about 130 a day - just from fruit and veg.
    To only eat 50g carbs/day you'd have to have no fruit and only low carb veg.
  • Gaelicgirl1983
    Options
    Yeah, if you're going to go as low as 50g of carbs per day, you can kiss fruit (other than berries) goodbye. Here's a list of some good high fiber low carb options: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/fibercounts.htm
    For veggies you want to stick to the leafy kind only. No starchy veggies at all. So basically anything that is a root vegetable like carrots or onions, and potatoes are off limits.

I recently started a low carb diet and one thing you really have to be careful of is making sure you get your fiber. Avocados are awesome. So are fiber supplements. My recommendation is 21g per day, but I'm also pretty small at about 5'1" so you may need to find an online calculator to determine your fiber recommendation.

In terms of protein, everyone else has already made great suggestions, although I would stay away from quinoa. It has a LOT of carbs. Just do your best to read labels and look up nutrition facts before you eat something.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Plain greek yogurt
    Protein shake
  • Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have a lot to work with now :)