For the ladies only - water weight gain ??

Options
Hi -- Just wanting to get feedback from some of the other ladies.. I know that retaining water around our TOM is a very normal thing, but I think my 3-4 pounds is a little extreme.. I gain it the week before my TOM, keep it all the following week, and then finally lose it after sloshing around with it for 2+ weeks.. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or am I just a whiner and need to get over it?? Thanks for any comments or encouragement!

Replies

• Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your my twin! LOL!! I have the same issue. I gain 3-5lbs back that 7 days or so. I did find last month that if I REALLY watched my sodium that week, and increased my water intake, it dropped to a 2lb gain. So, I have already started increasing my water yesterday, because by the end of the week, it will be here. So, no, you ain't alone, but it's still frustrating and ok to whine! Keep up the good work!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    VERY familiar! I don't think 3-4 pounds is extreme at all. I usually retain around 10 pounds! There is nothing I can do to help it. It's been happening ever since I started my period, so I don't even sweat it anymore. I usually stay off the scale around that time. No need to drive myself crazy, lol!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. I lost 5lbs last week, but then TOM came today, and I'm up 2.6. This is my first cycle while watching my weight so closely, so I don't know what is normal for me. (other than just how I feel). But after reading this thread, I'm not so freaked about it. lol

This TOM stuff is for the birds!!!
  • Bon180
    Bon180 Posts: 26
    Options
    I fluctuate about 6-10 lbs during the TOM. Some comes off within a few days...I'm also VERY swollen, to the point of clothes not fitting at all. Some of the weight has to be worked off due indulging in a few cravings. Annoying, but normal
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the best time for women to weigh is 7 days after the start of your period. It's the most accurate weight -- because most of the water gain has stopped. Hope that helps! I am struggling with the same thing and hoping that it goes away before my next weigh -in!
  • tiffaniball06
    Options
    Yea have diffinately had that problem I have gained as much as 8 lbs but I read an article that said to drink lots of water so thats what I started doing drinking nothing but distilled water and staying away from as much salt as possible and high bad carb foods and I actually lost 1.8 pound this week and its deffinately my tom the water helps wash the salt out of you body
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic. I have always had about 3-5 lb. gain before and during TOM. This is the first time since I started MFP that I only had a 2 lb. gain before but during (as in right now) it shows a loss and my official weigh in is tomorrow. I am confused as in what happened because this has never happened to me. Don't get me wrong I am ecstatic but don't know what made my body change to not do a weight gain during. Anyone?
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input... Now if I can just stay away from the salt and vinegar, I'll be OK.. HAHAHA

Your comments have really encouraged me and now I know I am totally not alone in this.. And I will try the water idea to flush some of this out.. Too bad my desk is not closer to the ladie's room.. HAHA

Thanks again!