Can someone help me?

Options
I'm so confused as to how many calories I'm suppose to eat, replace- whatever. So, here are my stats: someone PLEASE give me some insight as to how much I should be eating to lose weight?

My goal: 20 lbs lost by April 1, 2013
Started: Feb 1, 2013
Pounds lost so far: 6.4

I'm lightly active. A mostly stay at home mom, I work once or twice a week at a tanning salon that is only active during the Spring/Summer months. I spend the winter sitting there doing nothing. I chase my kids around every day- I have a 9 1/2 mo old, and a 3 1/2 yr old. I'm pretty active with them- picking them up, taking them up and down the stairs, running around the house etc.

I'm 5'2''. I originally weighed 155, I now weigh 148.6. I exercise when I can, which is not too often- because I have little to no time to myself during the day with the kids. I'm lucky to get 15-30 mins a day to exercise.

How many calories should I be consuming? When I exercise, do I replace those calories? How do I do that, lol. Told you I had a lot of questions. I just have no idea. I tried figuring out my BMR and everything- it's all so overwhelming. HELP?!?

Replies

• cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Know what u mean I'm still not sure, I'm on 1200 calories and wanting to 14lb initially but then maybe another 8lb
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I found this calculator simple to use: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But it looks like your current plan is working fine. Why change it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Set your budget to sedentary. If you do intentional exercise, it's your choice if you eat it back. I will tell you that your goal is probably unrealistic and that your going to get a budget of 1200 because that's as low as MFP will go.
  • apiebojo
    Options
    @WBB55- I just want to make sure I'm losing weight the right way. I thought 6 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks was quite a bit- and I've heard you can gain it back quickly if your body feels like it's starving itself? If it's normal though, that would be nice to know. So many people tell me different ways to count and replace my calories.

@Mokey41- I did do that, and I did get a budget of 1200 and I've been following it. I didn't know if this was right though, so I thought I'd ask for some help. If you think my goal is "probably unrealistic", what- in your opinion, is a "realistic" goal?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So I put your available stats into the calculator I linked you to. It said to eat 1650 calories every day.

I used 1-3 hours of light activity/week and guessed your age at 25. Go to the link and put in your info. It'll give you a good place to start. HOWEVER, please note if you use this calculator, you wouldn't "eat back" any of the calories gained thru workouts.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal it gets harder to lose so setting a deadline of 20 lbs by April 1st is not realistic without starving yourself. You shouldn't be trying to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight at max per week.
  • melissafiebelkorn
    Options
    There is a way to edit your information it gives you the option for how active you are and it will give you the amount of calories you should be taking in..
  • melissafiebelkorn
    Options
    I just remembered its in the settingz category. And I think that one person is right 1650 calories sounds about right.
  • MMMMMMMary
    Options
    I think 1200 is way too low. On the other hand, you're interested in weight loss. It's a balancing act. There are various different calorie-counting sites on line, and some will say you should be at about 1650 . . . . less for "extreme weight loss."

Rather than being a stickler, let me show you how I'm approaching it:

MyFitnessPlan said 1240. That's low, but that's my goal. Other sites say 1560 or 1700 or even 1900 should be my goal. So I'm thinking 1240 is AND I've been losing at the rate (okay I just started) of 2 lbs a week. So I'm happy. If I were demoralized by not making it, I think I'd set it to a more reasonable level. Look at your stats online and decide your calories.

As for replacing calories with exercise, that's definitely the way to go. If your general goal is already at a weight-loss level, then adding exercise is going way under, and I don't have the motivation for that. I look at exercise, which I don't enjoy, as money: it buys me some of the treats I want. Sometimes I don't want the treats badly enough to work for them, and then I've learned how to decide not to eat! I mean: "I'll get a latte now and exercise tonight OR I won't do either. Hmmmm. The day I had this choice it was 8 p.m. and I decided to do neither -- problem solved. If you use exercise to "buy" what you want, you'll still end up with weight loss, because your caloric intake is designed to be weight loss. Exercise merely allows you to end the day with a Bailey's or a piece of chocolate. That way you don't have to sacrifice EVERYTHING.

Just my take on it,
    M
  • apiebojo
    Options
    Thank you all very much! :)
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your levels are set right for activity levels and don't eat below BMR. I'm at 1850+ cals and losing. :love: I like my food. I would just cry if I was 1200 cals. :cry: