Body fat % scale what's yours?

Options
I have a new body fat scale I just got about a week ago it tells body fat, water % and BMI I was just wondering if anyone is close to mine
I'm
167.4 weight
36.2 % fat
47.2% water
And 26.1 BMI

I'm putting myself out here so I hope someone else will also!

Replies

• KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Scales don't do a very good job at measuring body fat %. You're better off investing in some skin fold calipers (you can find many on Amazon) and using an online calculator to figure it out. It's still not perfect, but it's much more accurate than a scale.

Here's the one I use: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html. I don't have my own calipers but my gym trainer does and we just started monitoring my body fat % last week. I'm at 20.97% with the JP/7-point method. Remember, the more points you measure, the more accurate your results.
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    do you have a muscular build? 36% sounds like it might be a high estimate...

I am about 170lb and I have been analyzed in the past and I was at 30% or so I think.. But I do have a fairly muscular build (big calves and thighs and booty).
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    my scales give me a much lower bf% than the online calculator I use (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/) so I stick to the calculator as I think it's much closer to my actual bf%. As long as you stick to one method though you should get an accurate measure of progress :smile:
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 23 stone a year ago my bf % was 55. I have lost 9 stone but my body fat is still 44% even with a vlcd and walking 15,000 steps a day and gym visits 3 times a week......oh well it is going down I suppose!!!
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have found my body fat % scale pretty accurate in comparison to the skin fold calipers method. Even though some scales aren't that accurate focus on the trend of your body fat %.

Started at :
    295 pounds
    56% BFP
    31% Hydration
    24% Body Muscle
    10.5% Bone.

Down 8% in BFP.
  • limitedmommy
    limitedmommy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My scale is made by Healthometer Preformax I'm 5'7 and my mid section measures 39 inches. My legs and arms are not really fatty but I also have large breast :p
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well I agree with the other poster that the scales can be misleading but then so can the calipers. I have been seeing a personal trainer for 7 mths and we take those measurements with the calipers etc.. and for the last few months nothing much has moved on the BF% reduction maybe 1/2 %. Now we showed at I was 30.4% down from 41% so still a great showing. But I thought that we should have seen better results and so I went yesterday for an iDexa scan at the University of Texas Fitness Institute and was shocked by the results.

I have lost 107 lbs in the last 17 mths / 75 wks. And I have a bit of loosey goosey skin, so I wondered how those calipers could gage things when the same flap of loose skin is used. I am 22.8 % BF !! So quite a difference to 30.4%. My lean body mass is high for a woman at 130.6 lbs, and my skeleton is heavier than the average woman as well and thus BMI charts cannot apply to me. I am 69.3 inches and 173 lbs in my underwear 1st thing in the morning, and the BMI charts say I should not be over 169lbs. So in theory they say around 175 is optimum for me.

The down side is that I also had my RMR tested and it is very low, and with my high lean mass it should have been higher. This may be the results of a 1200-1500 calories intake over these last 17 mths, so now I am going to have to begin to increase the calories to 2200 gradually with the hopes I can get my metabolism back in order.

So I guess the best thing is to take all of these commercial type scales and such, that are out on the market with a grain of salt and only as estimates.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7"
    160ish lbs
    bf% = 29.5 ( down from 39 30lb heavier)
    i think muscle was about 42 but i haven't been logging this so i can't quite rememeber
  • limitedmommy
    limitedmommy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know the Bf scale is not dead on but I am using it for reference so I can have an idea of where I'm losing fat or water weight.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when i weighed in yesterday i was 254.4 lbs, 47% bf, 38% water (i think..my chart is upstairs lol)
    but im also pregnant, so its entirely possible that its not accurate at all.