TO EAT OR NOT EAT EXERCISE CALORIES??.....(calm down)

Options
2»

Replies

• eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1 lb a week is pretty spot on for your current weight, so keep doing what you are doing (which is what? are you eating them or not right now?)

I'm kind of all over the place, sometimes I do- sometimes I don't. Because I'm just not sure. :ohwell:

Well you are actually probably doing it the best way. Sometimes if you eat more one day then less then next then more, then next, you trick your metabolism to keep burning so if you are all over the place, you are probably doing this without trying - so I'd say you really have a few options.

1. Keep it up and keep going (this is what I would recommend, or I should say do if it was me)
    2, Eat them all for a couple weeks, see what happens, make a decision based on that.
    3. Eat none of them for a couple weeks, see what happens, make a decision based on that.
    I'd vote for 1 or 2.
    In other words, experiment with your own body.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have read 238923892 threads on this and let me tell you this, there really isn't a right or wrong answer (IMO).

Everyone is different. You have to see what works for you. If you are not eating them, try to eat them and see what happens. If you are eating them, try not eating them and see what happens. See how your body responds and how you feel and then make a decision based on your experience.

How is that for an answer? :bigsmile:

Wow, this is probably the smartest thing I've ever heard on here. Simple but true.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i eat my calories back usually...I get hungry! I :heart: food
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have read 238923892 threads on this and let me tell you this, there really isn't a right or wrong answer (IMO).

Everyone is different. You have to see what works for you. If you are not eating them, try to eat them and see what happens. If you are eating them, try not eating them and see what happens. See how your body responds and how you feel and then make a decision based on your experience.

Wow, this is probably the smartest thing I've ever heard on here. Simple but true.

It's not really some random thing that everyone has to find by trial and error, and it's not really some complicated mystical secret. It's actually very straightforward. See the link above for explanation.
  • netski19
    Options
    If I'm not starving anyway, I wouldn't my exercise calories. I used to think of my exercise as earning calories that can add to my food allowance, but since the proteins and veggies that I'm eating is keeping me full anyway, I just think of the calorie deficit as one step closer to reaching my weight goal.

BTW, I'm doing the paleo diet, and I'm never hungry. I'm working out at least an hour a day, five days a week and stick to 1200 calories a day.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Could not have said it better. I eat them because if I don't I tend to binge after a few days... like my body is craving calories and at that point there is no control in how its going to get them. Besides, I believe slower weight loss is better. It would be nice to just get it off but I really want to keep it off and it takes time to learn new habits.
  • ifoundyouwaldo
    ifoundyouwaldo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you'll find out what works for you! good luck!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    eat them. done. unless you're not burning many calories--then only eat them if you're really hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    quicker ≠ smarter

This^^^

Safe and healthy weight loss is very gradual. The less you have to lose, the slower it should be. It looks like you only have about 10 Lbs to lose...personally, I'd dial it back to .5 Lbs per week and eat 80% (to account for error and BMR calories) or so of your exercise calories back and go really slowly. You'll preserve more lean body mass that way.

Thank you so much! :flowerforyou: A helpful answer is a breath of fresh air on MFP!
    I was talking to a trainer momentarily today and he said that 2 pounds is always safe- that's what had me thinking if I could be doing this just a smiggen faster. Not that I want to lose 3 lbs a week or anything- but I just want to be summer ready so I'm working my tail off- literally :smile:
    Thank you again for your kind response! :flowerforyou:

2 Lbs loss is fine so long as you aren't netting below your BMR. Netting below your BMR on a consistent basis is not safe or healthy. The less you have to lose, the closer the gap gets between BMR and TDEE. With just shy of 20 Lbs to go, I can't eat for 2 Lbs weight loss and maintain my BMR...I'd be about 100 calories or so below which is no good...I'll take the slow and steady weight loss that will be sustainable beyond summer any day over netting below my BMR. A good point of reference:

Less than 10 Lbs: 1/2 Lb per week loss goal
    10-20 Lbs: 1 Lb per week loss goal
    20-50 Lbs: 1.5 Lbs per week loss goal
    50 + Lbs: 2 Lbs per week loss goal.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Personally I dont eat mine back, as I am a very slow loser. I just exercise like a dog and use those calories as a bonus as far as fat burning goes!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If I did not eat them back I'd be fueling my healthy 36 year old body with only 760 calories on a Zumba day.

The way I look at it you have to fuel the machine.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY wanted to know, I suspect you would have read one of the approximately 26343982343 other threads on the matter.

yep. Search tool
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I made a thread on this. It comes down to; do you want to lose weight (muscle and fat) or just fat. Keeping in mind that muscle is tight and lean and the more you have, the tighter and leaner your body will be. I say include exercise in your TDEE. So if you are like me and exercise 5-6 days a week, set your account to moderate (lightly active if you workout 3-4) and forget about tracking exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results