Stevia? as a sugar substitute?

Options
mlbazemore
mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
I've been seeing stevia more and more in the nutrition magazines and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it as a sugar substitute. I don't think you could use it in recipes...not the liquid form anyway....It just seems like a little bit of an investment and I don't want to LOSE more money than pounds...huh...if sugar was wiped off the face of the earth I wouldn't have a problem with my weight :laugh:

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Stevia works really well in coffee, tea, smoothies, and with some cooking. I haven't tried it with baking but have used agave nectar or palm sugar in cooking with good results.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I tried many of the stevia products including: Stevia in the Raw, Truvia and Purevia. I did not care for the after taste that came with these products. In my opinion, Stevia in the Raw had the strongest after taste and Purvia was the most tolerable. However, I wanted NO after taste along with NO CALORIES.

I tried another product called "IDEAL No Calorie Sweetener". It is great. It is made with xylitol, not stevia. It comes in a bag (like sugar) and in packets. Measures like sugar and no after taste! Also, you can cook with it. Here is a link to their web site for more info including FAQs and a printable coupon. http://www.idealsweet.com/ I have to say I love it.

I wrote to all of the above companies and they all sent me free samples and coupons. I did my own taste test.

I hope this info helps.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I like the little SweetLeaf flavored Stevia bottles for coffee and tea, but I normally buy truvia or whatever brand is on sale and feel better about injesting an herb rather than a chemical concoction.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I use stevia all the time. I haven't tried it as a substitute for sugar in baking as I'm avoiding those kinds of foods all together, but you can't use it in the same measurements as sugar since it is tons sweeter. You'd have to find a substitution chart. Some people say it has a bitter aftertaste and I notice that in some foods I can taste it but not in others. My local health food store sells it powdered form in the bulk herbs and seeds section so I can get as much or as little as I need. It is pricey but you use much, much less of it then you would sugar or sugar substitutes and it is so much better for you, too.
  • Jennili7
    Jennili7 Posts: 50
    Options
    My sister has quite a large herb garden and she actually has a stevia plant. When she first got it I tried one of the leaves and it tasted just like sugar and I don't remember an after taste. Maybe the after taste comes with processing the plant. I'll get some leaves off of her plant and try cooking with it this week and I'll let you know how it goes. If I remember right she got it at Pikes and I'd be surprised if it was more than $10.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I'm gonna try the link you provided and see if I can get some coupons and free samples...I love coupons...so you know I have to be crazy for free samples!
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Another great sugar alternative is xylitol. You will find it in many chewing gums & toothpastes as a sweetener as it actually promotes oral health! It has a low glycemic index & has been utilized successfully by diabetics for years. No weird aftertaste like some stevia products can have. Easy to find at any health food store.