Corn Tortilla Shells

Options
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make these taste better? I have to use the corn ones instead of the flour ones because of gluten. I've eaten them right out of the package - very dry and tried heating in the microwave - any ideas?

Replies

• 72elkiedude
    72elkiedude Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make your own! it's really simple
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The hard shells or the soft shells? I would prefer to eat the hard shells, because they are like tortilla chips. I don't really like the soft corn shells. I eat them sometimes but I get sick of them really quick. So my solution is to not eat them. Can you just make a burrito bowl or taco salad and just leave out the shell altogether? Plus then you get to spend your calories eating something much more tasty!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Lightly toasted in the oven at 400 for about 8-9 minutes. Yum!
  • marshart
    marshart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been eating thru a whole package myself. I mic them to make them warm and a bit more pliable but they do crack when you roll them around a filling anyway...messy eating.
    I like a veggie dog inside with mustard,pickles,catsup (faux corn dog); chicken/bean/corn fillling; bean, salsa filling and today put inside my olive hummus and homemade salsa.
  • hart1028
    Options
    I heat them in a frying pan with a little olive oil and salt. They crisp right up. I also make chips out of them ..cut into wedges with a little Olive ol and ad seasoning...i usually use alittle chili pepper. I just made little pizzas out of them. Yum! They fall apart easily in the microwave but I sometimes put a little cheese and salsa heat for 20 sec... a good snack
  • Dhalyia
    Dhalyia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas are meant to be fried. Use Pam or some cooking spray, then fry till they get warm and pliable. If you cook them till crispy you can use them as a tostada and on top just pile a layer of beans, lettuce, tomato, onion, and salsa.

I love the white corn tortillas, they go awesome with carne asada....pulled pork...carnitas....or just homemade refried beans and salsa.

Of course, you might be referring to the hard shells, those are always gonna be crispy. Unless you make chiliquiles, which is totally awesome!