I just made a terrible, but healthy smoothie....HELP!

Options
I just made a smoothie with 1 banana, 1/3 blueberries, 2 cups strawberries, non-fat milk, and orange juice....Not so delicious as it looked. I like super sweet drinks but I don't want sugars that will raise my calories too high! I tried not to add any but are there any suggestions I could have to make it super sweet?

Replies

• Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stevia or honey.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you added too many strawberries. Banana's usually make a smoothie pretty sweet. Maybe add another banana? But no more orange juice.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the orange juice.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I add yogurt (flavored ones to help flavor the most) in all my smoothies... Its not candy sweet or anything but it helps to counter the tartness of things like strawberries.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I always add yogurt. It adds creaminess and sweetness... yum!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    blue berries tend to bitter my shakes n require extra flavoring... I usually mix some protein shake with mine(like half a scoop) otherwise make it simpler. banana is a good sweetener, dont kill the sweet with too much other stuff. I'd skip the orange juice too.. other than that, hold your nose n down this one n take it as a lesson learned ;) good luck with your future smoothies.
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I started adding mango peach tofu to my smoothies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the citric acid in the Orange Juice curdle the milk? Maybe that was the problem...
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    How ripe was the banana? I would use oranges in place of oj and a splash of unsweetened apple juice.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ditch the OJ, replace the non fat milk with 1% or 2% to give it smoothness and try some yogurt in the mixture, or even some unflavored protein power to balance out your macros a little more...
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    vanilla yogurt has always worked as a good "sweetener" in my smoothies. And the OJ is too acidic.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, sometimes 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and so it'll all blend together, I use 1/4 cup pineapple juice. It makes it very sweet.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just started smoothies and found one yummy and sweet enough maybe you'd like to try: 8 oz Almond Milk, one bannana, 1 c. pineapple, 1 orange and blend. The almond milk or even coconut milk rather than MILK makes a sweeter flavor. If you get the Vanilla flavor Almond milk it will add another added sweet. You really don't need to add juices, which in turn adds more cal and sugars.
  • emichale13
    emichale13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    xylitol is supposed to be a "good" sweetener and it tastes yummy.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ditch the OJ, replace the non fat milk with 1% or 2% to give it smoothness and try some yogurt in the mixture, or even some unflavored protein power to balance out your macros a little more...

I agree!!
    And a dash of Stevia works pretty well :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Whey/soy protein usually sweetens mine, I also use almond milk. Sometimes mine are too sweet from the protein powder (which has 2 grams per serving of sugar)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the citric acid in the Orange Juice curdle the milk? Maybe that was the problem...

Bingo! Remember in the film Heathers when they plan to make Red Heather puke by mixing orange and milk? Not a good combo.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Cut the OJ add yoghurt and or unsweetened Almond Milk
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    try frozen pineapple and half the berrries. I use almond milk it's only 40 calories/8ounces.
    after a while your sweet tooth will decrease!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use unflavored coconut water as the liquid in my smoothies. Some fruits like pineapple or mango or grapes when they are sweet, not sour, help to bring more sweetness.