I think I hurt myself today. :(

Options
Hi everyone.
I'm training for a marathon in June. Today's run was supposed to be an easy 3 mile run- and it was. I broke a personal record. :)
But the thing is I think I might have hurt myself and I didn't feel it till about 3 hours later. I'm having pelvic pain and lower back pain while walking that it wasn't there before. It's just a dull ache now but it hurts the more I walk. I did some reading and apparently running downhill can change your stride and my run was mostly that. I'm thinking it has something to do with the pain. I'm supposed to be running again tomorrow but I don't want to injure myself. I'm icing now so if the pain goes away by tomorrow I'm thinking about going through with training. Any advice on what it might be or if you've had something similar?

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    skip tomorrow and if you are still sore in 2 days (as in if it gets worse) i'd consult a physician.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing sometimes too. If its a combination of Pelvic soreness and lower back, it could be your hip flexor muscle.

Have a look online for some information, but if I strain it, I put pressure on it (as described by a physio) and it usually helps!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I'm training for a marathon in June. Today's run was supposed to be an easy 3 mile run- and it was. I broke a personal record. :)
    But the thing is I think I might have hurt myself and I didn't feel it till about 3 hours later. I'm having pelvic pain and lower back pain while walking that it wasn't there before. It's just a dull ache now but it hurts the more I walk. I did some reading and apparently running downhill can change your stride and my run was mostly that. I'm thinking it has something to do with the pain. I'm supposed to be running again tomorrow but I don't want to injure myself. I'm icing now so if the pain goes away by tomorrow I'm thinking about going through with training. Any advice on what it might be or if you've had something similar?

SEE A DOCTOR... there can be a lot of reasons for pain in that area
  • MelanieBHow
    Options
    I had 8 years worth of back issues prior to having surgery 2 years ago. The thing that would have been awesome to know from the beginning is to use ice instead of heat. Your nerves are probably on fire from the running downhill and if you add more heat, you will cause the nerve endings to ache more. Apply an ice pack to the area around your tail bone and hopefully that will provide you with some relief. Ibuprofen and plenty of water too. Good luck!