Weight loss tickers

Options
Just wondering how you decide about what info to put on your weight loss ticker? Do you feel like it's more attainable to put shorter goals and reach them a little at a time. I had mine set to lose 49 lbs at first, to 350. I am wondering if I should change it to like 20 lb intervals, instead of 50 .. seems overwhelming, but I don't want to give up too .. I know I can do it, I am doing it! But maybe it will make me feel better if I see the little ticker at the end for once ..and then go from there. What do you suggest?

Replies

• IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sassy, you took the words out of my mouth!!!! I put my total weight loss goal on my ticker and so it feels so unattainable :noway:
    But i've noticed others put smaller goals, and then adjust :ohwell: . Hmmmmm......I'm looking forward to what others say about this..... :wink:
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I believe it is a personal choice! Mine on here is set for my whole weight lose goal. But knowing I started out with over 150 lbs to lose was very overwhelming so I mentally set mini goals for my self of twenty pounds. I even switched it up from time to time and bought a shirt or pants that were too small so that I could have a goal and a reward for all my effort. Just remember every pound is a step in the right direction and don't give up!!!
  • CapeCodGal
    CapeCodGal Posts: 23
    Options
    I kow what you mean, and I think there should be a way of doing both, but for now, I put my final goal, not to intimaidate me, but to remind myself that I'm heading in that direction, and like any trip, eventually, I'll get there.
  • CapeCodGal
    CapeCodGal Posts: 23
    Options
    I even switched it up from time to time and bought a shirt or pants that were too small so that I could have a goal and a reward for all my effort. Just remember every pound is a step in the right direction and don't give up!!!

What a great idea! I have some things that are a size too small which I packed away so I wasn't reminded of my gain, but now I think I'll put them back in the closet, as incentive!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I've got mine set at 30 pounds to lose, which puts me into the overweight category. I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is, so I've set it for Step 1 for me. After I hit that goal, I'll likely change it for another 20 pounds to lose, which would put me at only 10 pounds overweight. After that, I'll see. It's easier than trying to pick a final number now when I have a somewhat long way to go. I don't know if I want to shoot for a healthy weight, or if I'm happy with a few pounds over, or what. Short goals work better for me.
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    I'd say it's personal preference of course, but for me it's nice to meet the little goals and then re-set them once you achieve it. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something, even if it's a little bit at a time! Constantly seeing your end goal can be discouraging when you're having a bad day.

Good Luck!
  • ejoh40509
    ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think that it would be more rewarding to put smaller goals, because once you reach that goal you are so excited. To me that is what keeps me more motivated for the next goal. I think it is a sense of accomplishment. It's almost the same has trying to lose weight, when u see results your more motivated to keep on keepin on right? I suggest that you try it and see if this works for you. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I set my ticker for total weight loss but then underneath it I wrote out several mini goals and I update then as I meet them! It made me feel like I was accomplishing more that way!!:bigsmile:
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I set my ticker for total weight loss but then underneath it I wrote out several mini goals and I update then as I meet them! It made me feel like I was accomplishing more that way!!:bigsmile:
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wanted a "in your face" ticker. It's to me like LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE LET YOURSELF GAIN! My self esteem was so low before this program. I have been married this time, for almost 14 years. My husband never once knew my weight. He does now. My first husband, I was married to never knew my weight. I have always been so ashamed of myself, and the way I looked, I guess I thought well, if they don't know the weight, I can hide it some. And I started here that way. Not now. I had to own my number before I was able to realize how high I had gotten. I started my ticker with 97lbs to go. 2 weeks later I changed it to start weight, and goal weight. Then I put it on my siginature. MY EXACT WEIGHT! I needed to be reminded of those numbers everyday, to give me the incentive to want to loose. It works for me, and that is what counts.
  • Kwilliams75
    Options
    While on the subject of tickers can someone tell me how to get my ticker to show when I reply to a topic! Thanks!!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I will set it up for a different goal next time .. since now I lost 19 lbs, so when I get past the 20 mark then I will set it for 20 more lbs and so on.

To get your ticker in your "signature" at the top of the message boards, it says "My Signature" and you click on that and you get your ticker code, and paste it into the signature area, using the BBCode. Hope that helps!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If I could please recommend weightchart.com as it goes along so well with this site.

It is a charting system that has a "milestone" section for recording shorter term goals.

I logged there all last year even though I was gaining and it is proven to be invaluable to me so far as being able to look back and see where I was at my weakest.
  • ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i put the whole thing on there but i am thinking of little "rewards" for myself for reaching different weight loss amounts
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    I've got a lot to lose, put my 'main goal' in there. And if I proceed on from that goal, all the better.

It's worked out that when I pass my kitty, I'll be a very happy person.

Edit: Kwilliams. What you do is this:

Go to tools. Create your ticker. Get the code for your ticker 'for any message board'

Then come back to the community page, click on 'signature' and copy that code into your signature. You can delete the little bit at the end if you like or use the whole code.
  • Kwilliams75
    Options
    YAY! I did it but i used a free ticker website to create a short term goal ticker for my signature and have my long term on my profile. I will have to see if I will have to manually update it or if it will update itself!! Thanks for the help!!:flowerforyou:
  • mcsmileyy
    mcsmileyy Posts: 5
    Options
    For me, i had my ticker set with my start weight & goal weight. My final goal is 40 pounds, and i think that in my mind every pound is a sucess, so mini goals on my ticker arent necssary. But if it works for you, and makes it easier, then set mini goals ! its all about whats gonna keep you on track : )