Terrified

Options
Im new to this and looking for a support group, I have my support group at home but no one in my family knows truly what it is to be overweight., ive got 35 lbs to lose and feeling pretty crumby about myself. I gained like 5 lbs without even realizing it and if I continue like this I will weigh 200 lbs soon and this absolutely terrifies me. So if anyone would like to add me go ahead or let me know and I will add you :))

Replies

• shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been over the 200 lbs mark, and it is a pretty hard number to climb down from; but that could have been a mental issue for me. It's so easy to lose weight, eh?

I have about 30 lbs to lose; maybe we can keep each other accountable! You can "friend" me on Facebook, if you like. (www.facebook.com/teamburnitca)
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent. No need to feel terrified. This site is very supportive and helpful. You can do it!
  • 32thirtytwo
    Options
    Feel free to add me, we can all use some more support.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    First of all - don't be terrified - be thrilled, excited, happy etc. that you have signed on and are on a new journey towards fitness, health, feeling better about yourself, finding really cute clothes etc. etc. etc....we are all here pretty much for the same reasons - tired of being at a weight that is not healthy for our body, mind and spirit.

I TRULY believe in positive self-talk - so don't knock yourself down, don't put the negative energy out there - keep telling yourself you are, can and will do this - and you will. When you feel "crummy" about yourself - push it away and put in it's place three great things about yourself - I'm assuming that's a picture of yourself in your profile pic and you look stunningly beautiful - you have lovely hair - and I'm sure there are more things about you other than your outward appearance that make you a unique and fabulous individual - you know what they are - just keep them in your "mantra" and make sure you remind yourself daily of what a great person you are! You can and will change your body because you want to and you deserve to have the body that you want - be grateful for your body even as it is now - accept where you are and move on from this point forward - each day, a new one with great opportunities - ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Lots of great people on the site - be glad to be a friend - I'll send you a request - or do same -
    Wishing you all the best and welcome to the site!
    Much Aloha - from Kauai, Hawaii
    Lynn Maile Taylor:flowerforyou:
    (my website is www.lynnandthayne.com - if you'd like to check out our music and art!)
  • jules_02
    jules_02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We can all use support. I'll add you as a friend. Anyone else can add me too. :)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No need to be afraid, you can change it, so nothing to fear, just to accomplish ;) Please feel free to add me for support ;) So can anyone els if they want!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

6) I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.
    Forget I *NEED* to lose 20, 30, 50, 100 lbs. I'm only worried about 1 lb the next one. I'll worry about the others later.
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. )

7)
    The closer I got to my goal the smaller I made my deficit. Yes, this took longer to get to my goal, but I was focusing on (am STILL tweaking) strategies for maintenance. What I found difficult (and haven't yet conquered) it establishing a guideline for a range for maintenance, being that I'm not really good at hitting the same number everyday.

Food is not the enemy.

Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time, now the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.
  • ciromeroz
    Options
    thanks guys! And especially Kauaiartist your words mean a lot...
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Great advice all.. Stick to it .. little by little and victory by victory. Before you know it, you'll get your groove back.

May I recommend a book.. Emotional Blackmail by Susan Forward .. http://losingitkk.blogspot.com/2011/07/battle-in-war-for-self.html

This book helped me see how I let the fear of others "Not liking me" determine what I did or said.. then I stuffed food to make myself feel better that I didn't stand up for myself.. It's really about you being important enough to take care of.. and keeping your promises to yourself as sacred as those you make to others..
    You matter