Counting calories in drinks

Options
Do you guys count calories in drinks when you're counting all of your calories at the end of the day? Do you think its just as bad to DRINK a lot of calories as it is to eat them?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    all calories count. Drinking calories is not bad per say, but you don't get any satiety from it and it's not providing any real nutrition in many cases unless you are talking protein shakes.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them. Calories in drinks add up fast.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. If you don't count the ones you consume via drinking, you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. It doesn't matter where a calorie comes from, if you're counting calories, you need to count all of them.

And given how many calories can be in things one drinks, not to do so could be devastating to weight loss efforts.
  • dconnolly818
    dconnolly818 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, unless you only drink water, you would be AMAZED at the amount of liquid calories you take in in a day. And calories are calories.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yup count em. Wouldnt that be cool if you didnt have to count them. Man, do you know how many rum and cokes I would be drinking?!?!?! GLUG GLUG pass me a 2L of Dr. Pepper.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Only calories I drink is in my flavored liquid coffee creamer and I dont count them.
  • TheSojuCroc
    TheSojuCroc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Count them all. Consuming a surplus of calories is what causes someone to gain weight; the method of ingestion is irrelevant.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    I count them, but mostly drink water. Only recently have I been drinking unsweetened iced tea (0) mixed with a bit of pink lemonade (~20ish).
    Only other beverage I have (excluding alcohol which is also rare) is soy milk. Sometimes I forget to log it, but one cup is 100 calories! So it really should be logged. It can turn into fat just as easily as food can.
  • sabrinaxo10
    sabrinaxo10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay, I figured I just didn't know for sure. Thanks everyone!!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Definitely count calories in drinks :) Juices, soft drinks and alcohol contain more calories than one might have formerly thought! ^_^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I just drank a protein shake which consisted of about 240 calories. If I "forgot" to count a few entries like that, it would certainly add up in a hurry. If you're drinking things like sodas, milk, shakes, alcoholic drinks, etc., they can carry a substantial calorie count. You can log them or not, as you please, but what you log has nothing to do with what your body "counts". Calories are calories, regardless of where they come from.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Wait, are we talking beer and booze? Yes.