Step aerobics

missmollyjo23
missmollyjo23 Posts: 4
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I start step aerobics tonight and I am very nevrous since I am not very coordinated..at all.. Anyone out there do step aerobics? Can it be done with little coordination?

Replies

• KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Yes it can be done! I am not very coordinated either, and really out of shape, but I do my best. Sometimes I have to stop for a second to watch the steps and then I catch on. After you do it a few times, it will get easier!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Good luck on the class tonight. Just want to warn you though, if you have thick thighs and bumm like I do, then step is not the best choice of exercise for you. It is not good for pear shaped individuals because all the stepping up increases muscle mass in the lower region. I gave that up and started speed walk/jogging and my legs and butt slimmed right down.

Either way, you will do great!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    You don't really have to worry about coordination unless it's an advanced class. In a beginner's class you'll be doing basic moves of just stepping up, down, to the side, etc.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Good luck on the class tonight. Just want to warn you though, if you have thick thighs and bumm like I do, then step is not the best choice of exercise for you. It is not good for pear shaped individuals because all the stepping up increases muscle mass in the lower region. I gave that up and started speed walk/jogging and my legs and butt slimmed right down.

Either way, you will do great!

I was going to try step aerobics as my next class. Thank you for posting this as I am a pear shaped person. I can't get my butt and legs to shrink!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    They shouldn't call it "step aerobics". They should call it "screaming stairs". Seriously, step will get your legs and butt SCREAMINGGGGG!!!! I honestly can't do it. The burn is too intense. I prefer not to repeat the same movement the ENTIRE time LOL!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Yes, Jess41684, I found out the HARD way. I just thought my legs and thighs would never go down. I also noticed how most of the ladies in the class legs were pretty thick (except for the ultra thin few that attended). Anyway, something happened with my favorite teacher so I decided to try more elliptical and started jogging...my goodness, my thighs and butt slimmed right down. Matter of fact I saw a friend from the class months later and her once huge thighs were gone...we both looked at each other and laughed...we both started jogging and stopped step..what a difference that made!
  • I took step a few years ago. Here's what I suggest: try to get a spot toward the front (yeah, I know:embarassed: ) but it helps to watch the instructor so that you can match the verbal cues with the steps. Believe me, this activity is not something that people instinctively know how to do, so we've all been beginners.

Keep your step low (only one riser until you get the steps down.)
    After a few classes, you'll understand the cues and it will be much easier. Finally, bring lots of water and make sure that you've had a decent meal prior to going. At the very least, eat a banana. You'll need it.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I took step a few years ago. Here's what I suggest: try to get a spot toward the front (yeah, I know:embarassed: ) but it helps to watch the instructor so that you can match the verbal cues with the steps. Believe me, this activity is not something that people instinctively know how to do, so we've all been beginners.

Keep your step low (only one riser until you get the steps down.)
    After a few classes, you'll understand the cues and it will be much easier. Finally, bring lots of water and make sure that you've had a decent meal prior to going. At the very least, eat a banana. You'll need it.
    I agree!! I love step, but it took me awhile to love it. You definitely need to be near the instructor to see her/ him do the steps and get the cues. If it is a beginner class, it should be pretty basic moves. Easy to follow. Good luck and let us know what you think!! :happy:
  • Thanks!! I am feeling better about it..from what I can tell there seems to only be 6 people in the the class right now so I should be able to get a spot at the front!!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    I do step once a week at the gym in a large class and then I just bough my own step at Academy that came with a video. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE STEP!!!! :love: Although, I've always been athletic and coordinated there are TONS of folks in our class that aren't so. The still love it, have a good time, and def break a sweat! I think you'll really enjoy it. Just don't get down on yourself or give up. You can def feel very lost at first, but it will take no time to get accustomed to the terminology and be able to do the routine without falling all over yourself. Just stick with it.......I promise it will be worth it! If I miss class on Monday......I'm sad the rest of the week! If you mess up....laugh at yourself and keep going! But get ready to sweat!!!! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.