What are your favourite low-cost healthy snacks?

Options
I'm getting bored of the usual snacks I have at work (crackers, nuts, sugar snap peas, popcorn, plain fruit) and I'm looking for new ideas on low-cost healthy snacks.

What are your favourites?

Replies

• booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Cheese Stick
    Boiled Egg
    Tuna Pouch
    Turkey and mustard wrapped in lettuce leaves
    Buddig Ham packet 90 cal (if you don't need to watch sodium)
    SF Jello Cup
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hump de Bump
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter, or berries and cottage cheese
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Here's one I love, lite vanilla yogurt, whatever kind you like, take a pack of 100 calorie oreo thins and crumble them in it. Awesome!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Here's one I love, lite vanilla yogurt, whatever kind you like, take a pack of 100 calorie oreo thins and crumble them in it. Awesome!

Oh that sounds really good! I have vanilla yogurt all the time with fruit, sometimes with unsweetened cocoa powder, but hadn't thought to crumble up those oreo thins. Can't wait to try it.
  • Bunnaliqua
    Bunnaliqua Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    - popcorn and babaganoush

- low fat smk salmon cream cheese piped onto a slice of cuke topped w tomato or red pepper - this has been a hit when having girlfriends over

- cherry tomato, fresh basil leaf and a small pc of cheese like buffalo mozza all on a toothpick. It's good on own and you could drizzle w oil & balsamic if you like

- carrots and hummus

- pilsbury makes a low fat cresent roll that I roll up w veggie dogs and eat w mustard. You still have to really portion it but it's a great finger food for watching weight without feeling deprived. I cut everything small so they are bite size and looks like I'm eating more visually.

- this veggie smoothie is pretty good, I have it for breakfast sometimes but it could be a great snack too:
    whole tomato
    2 handfuls spinach
    1/4-1/2 avocado
    no sugar coconut water
    Sounds crazy to some but I like it! You could sub avo for protein powder

Hope you enjoy my suggestions! :)
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks!

I love the sound of apple and peanut butter, sweet and salty is right up my alley!

Popcorn and babaganoush sounds delicious too. I'm not sure 100 calorie Oreo thins are sold in Australia, if they are then I'm going for a hunt...
  • zandraak
    zandraak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with a bunch of cinnamon is also delicious.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots: $1.69, sometimes on sale for $1.29, with hummus (I get Sabra when it's BOGO; not cheap but worth it if it's on sale).

Greek yogurt: I snag a bunch of Chobani, Voskos or Fage when they're on sale for 10/$10.

Dark chocolate: I get a few bars when they go on sale - Endangered Species is my favorite and is sometimes on sale for 2/$5.

Larabars or Lunabars: I stock up when they're 10/$10.

Banana or apple w/ peanut butter: The PB I buy is $2.99 and an apple/banana is less than a dollar.

Hard boiled egg(s): Maybe $.20/each

Nuts: Sometimes I get Emerald almonds/cashews when they're on sale for BOGO, 2/$7 or something similar.

It's fairly easy to find healthy, inexpensive options if you shop smart (and have the resources available, of course).