Can't find the time...

Options
I'm in my last semester of college and I am student teaching full time. It seriously feels like working a full time job plus going to school. I really need help with finding time to workout. I already get up at 5:30am every morning to get to school on time and I don't leave the classroom until 3:30pm and get home about 4:00pm. I just feel so pressed for time and need quick, fast workouts that I might be able to do at home.

Please help! :)

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Here are several pages of various workouts. I didn't look at them specifically but I know Men's Health publishes a lot of 15 - 20 -40 minute workouts.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/workout-plans/recent-100

WARNING: Men's health has a lot of annoying pop up ads.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club - free app, loads of workouts from 15-45 minutes long, huge variety.
  • amreinking37
    Options
    thank you both so much! I really appreciate the help!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Any time you have a spare 5 minutes get up and move around. Take a short walk either around a building or in place. If you watch TV then get moving during the commercials. If you are doing homework then periodically take a short break to do jumping jacks or something to get your heart going. Just take a few minutes here and there during your day will add up. What age group do you student teach? Sometimes you can have the kids/teens get up and move with you for a few minutes. Sometimes it will re-energize their minds.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I worked 630-630 (20 minute commute) I got up at 430am to workout. I now get up at 345 to get to work for 5 am, get off at 5 pm and go to the gym or run right after.
    It's hard but it can be done. My biggest thing is I work out right away. If I go home and sit down, I'm done.
  • sechadyl
    sechadyl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club - free app, loads of workouts from 15-45 minutes long, huge variety.

Awesome arms, I need those too. Did you use Nike to acheive these?
  • amreinking37
    Options
    I have first graders and I know they would be up for that. They need to get up and move around every now and then, I had just never considered doing it with them! I like the idea of getting up to walk around the building and taking a break from lesson plans. That makes it sound a lot easier than walking to the gym for a work out and it taking a big chunk of time like that.

Waking up early is rough and I'm just like too. I sit down and I am completely done for the day and will not go out for a workout. I just need to face reality and stop making excuses! haha

Thanks for the help!
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Most of Jillian Michael's DVDs are around 30 minutes...help whip you into shape quick!
    Good luck in school!
  • Mcgheeb19
    Options
    I know how you feel, kinda. I'm in my first year (second semester) of college. I'm a full time student and a I work full time.
    By the time in done with classes or work I'm so tired. I feel like there is no time for working out.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Awesome arms, I need those too. Did you use Nike to acheive these?
    Yup! There's a section of 15 minute workouts in the Get Focused section of the app, each targets an area of the body, like arms, back, shoulders, legs, butt, etc. Good stuff.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have first graders and I know they would be up for that. They need to get up and move around every now and then, I had just never considered doing it with them! I like the idea of getting up to walk around the building and taking a break from lesson plans. That makes it sound a lot easier than walking to the gym for a work out and it taking a big chunk of time like that.

Waking up early is rough and I'm just like too. I sit down and I am completely done for the day and will not go out for a workout. I just need to face reality and stop making excuses! haha

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. I used to work at a summer camp, and the kids were always up for learning something new. I know that teaching them new stuff can get a bit boring, so making it fun always helps. Plus, they are more apt to try it when you do it with them. Sometimes you can get silly with the moving around. This will get everyone laughing which will help to burn more calories. Have fun!
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    10 minutes, 3 times a day. Simon Says with the kids, jumping jacks, wiggle breaks. Get a pedometer and have the kids get involved with your walking goals: counting, graphs, celebrations for small milestones. You would be teaching them such great life lessons, as well as math. Check out the government campaign agains childhood obesity: www.letsmove.gov
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I work FT at a hospital, teach PT at a community college, have a side business, a three year old, a husband who travels all the time, and I'm taking classes to finish up another degree..... yet I somehow still manage to find the time because it's so important to me. I get up super early for treadmill time............ when I was a college student, I worked FT, school FT, cramming for 4 board exams, and I was a single mom. I would use the treadmill about 4 in the morning, then go to the campus gym during the time that was somewhat considered a lunch break, I worked for the Sheriff's Dept so I'd slip into their gym during meal breaks, and I joined L.A. Fitness so sometimes if my classes or work shift ended early enough, I'd workout there before I had to pick up my son. Even though I was dead tired, working out gave me energy and made me feel great about myself. Where there's a will there's a way..... even though it sure isn't easy, i totally understand, but if it's important enough to you, you will find a hole in your schedule somewhere. YOU CAN DO IT GF! :happy:
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Do body weight exercises at home. For example, do a round of pushups, return to cooking dinner. Do a round of crunches, go back to dishes. Do a plank, return to homework. See how easy it is? You just take little breaks until you get it done. You can also run in place while your folding laundry, etc. Do what you can do. No excuses!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help!

I have a friend that used to substitute teach elementary kids. Every so often, she'd say "give me 15!" and the kids had to get up and either dance or jump around for 15 seconds. She said they loved it.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am also in student teaching this semester and know EXACTLY how you feel and all I can honestly tell you is.... you just gotta make time. I find my workout to be the best part of my day since I am usually really stressed out by the time I get done with my day (7:00 am- 4:10 pm). Any activity is good but if you want to do something quick then here are some options.
    If you have an iPhone Nike Training Club is amazing. You'll need a mat and some weights.
    Any of the Jillian Michaels DVDs are awesome too! You'll need a mat and some weights.
    benderfitness.com tons of body weight workouts that you could do in about 15 minutes
    sparkpeople on youtube- there are tons of ten minute videos that will get your heart going!

I hope that helps and I hope your student teaching goes well! I know how much work it is, but we can do it!