Using Fitbit data with MFP to get calorie target

Hi, I hope someone can help!

I'm hoping to lose weight using MFP and have it synchronised with Fitbit.

I've set my activity level to the lowest level on MFP which gives me an allowance of 1200 kcals a day - presumably 1000 less than I'd need to maintain weight - and then MFP uses the Fitbit data to automatically give me exercise calories on top of the 1200.

All sounds great?

But, I seem to get an awful lot of exercise calories. Even by the time the fitbit is registering just 1000 steps the exercise calories are adding on. So far today I have done a 4.5 mile run and a bit of walking but I seemingly have an extra 2000 exercise calories already. That just doesn't feel right.

Does that sound right to you guys or am I missing something?

If it's of any use I'm 194lbs at the moment.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Rob

Replies

• Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Bump
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    if you are running 4.5 miles in a day why would you put your activity level to the lowest?

Set it to an accurate level like moderate.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    You need to set up both fitbit.com and MFP to have them link correctly. If you workout 1-2 times/wk thats light 3-5 moderate, 6-7 highly

1200 seems way...way....way ...way too low for someone thats 194 lbs (depending on height). goto... fat2fitradio.com/tools take measurements and get your BMR, goal weight, and TDEE from the chart. readjust your goals in MFP and fitbit.com. Then they will link up better. I had the same problem initially...had to up my activity level to moderate. Good luck
  • dtucker3800
    dtucker3800 Posts: 17 Member
    I've noticed the same thing with fitbit. If I exercise in the morning then MFP tells me I can eat a lot more than I know I can to maintain my weight but by the next day the 'extra' calories have dropped down to a moderate amount. It seems to be assuming that I'm going to be that active all day and then it corrects that at the end of the day. I'd be in trouble if I ate that much for sure!
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Go to your Fitbit dashboard and adjust your settings - turn off your "calorie estimation". That fixed it for me.
  • dtucker3800
    dtucker3800 Posts: 17 Member
    When you turn off the calorie estimation on fitbit then does it still sync the calories actually burned from your exercise to MFP?
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    I would try joining the fitbit group here for some answers.

You calories are way too low.