Legs itch bad when walking long period of time.

Options
sassyt76
sassyt76 Posts: 12 Member
Hello everyone! I was would first like to say that I am a diabetic and I also have thyroid issues. I don't know if either of those causes the following problems but I would like to find out if anyone else has this problem and if so what is something I can do to stop this from happening. Whenever I walk for longer than 20 minutes after I finish my legs itch so bad almost like something bit me and has caused me to itch. I have tried changing the type of pants I wear to see if that helps but it really doesn't. Help me somebody!

Replies

• jcollier117
    jcollier117 Posts: 18
    Options
    This also happens to me. I believe its your legs telling you, its not use to being used this much. I find it gets better with time as you get use to walking more. Plus i find it helps to use a heavy lotion on my legs.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic you could have some neuropathy, Have you talked to your doctor about it?
  • ejoh40509
    ejoh40509 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello, really not sure but have suggestions. Try using a different lotion, softner or detergent. I would try the lotion 1st if that doesn't work try softner then detergent. Seems like that once your body gets in to the perspire it getting a allergic reaction. Good luck
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Yes this happens to A LOT of people. This happens to me, my sis, friends. I don't know what the reason for this and have yet to find anything to help it. I did find this...hope it helps, I would also suggest googling it when you have a few minutes to do some reseacrh. I bet there are a lot of different theories out there.

Alesha

Why do my legs itch when I walk?

There are several possible causes of itchy legs while walking. This seems to be a common complaint in new walkers and it has been suggested that the itching may be due to poor circulation. If this is the case the itching normally subsides as your body gets more activity.

Of course the most common cause of itchy legs is dry skin. In the winter dry skin can really be a problem. You may itch when you're not exercising, but sweating intensifies the problem. Simply apply a moisturizer to your legs before exercising. Use products that are free of perfumes and dyes.

Some soaps, detergents, fabrics, etc. can cause a slight allergic reaction. Once again you may not really notice this until you are walking and sweating. If you are using a new product (bath soap, lotion, laundry detergent, etc) that could be the culprit. Also be sure you are wearing breathable fabrics to reduce chances of a heat rash.

If the itching persists, you develop a rash, or have additional symptoms you should contact a physician.
  • sarahembree50
    sarahembree50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem but I've noticed it when I've gone for a jog outside and it's cold out. I never really thought about it much, except for that it's annoying, so I don't know the cause but I'm not diabetic and don't have any thyroid problems.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me for YEARS. When I mentioned it to people they would think I was crazy. :noway: .

After some research I found out it was some kind of allergic reaction. I was advised by my Dr. to take an oral antihistamine (Ie. Claritin) at least an hr before going out for a walk. After taking the antihistamine for about 2 weeks the itching seemed to go away with consistent walking, however if you stop walking for 2 weeks or more the itching may come back, and you have to start the antihistamine process again.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i just read about this in fitness magazine. it said that most of the time, itchy legs after a longer work-out is normal, especially if the weather is chillier. this is due to constricting blood vessels from the cold. it could also be due to poor circulation.
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi! This happens to by best friends ALOT.....especially if she isn't consistant with her workouts.

What happens is, let's say it has been a week or two since she has walked, and I mean vigorously walked; not strolled. Then we go for a walk and she is itching like CRAZY by the time the walk is over. If we go again the next day...she is fine. But if she was to take a break from walking, the next time we go for a walk she would be itching again.

She went to the doctor and she said it is an allergic reaction, something about mast cells...and Benadryl should take care of it...and it does help her alot.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic & have thyroid issues, too. The tingling is probably blood going to your legs (which is good, it means you're alive). Have your doctor monitor it, but it should subside as your legs get used to working for you :)
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me for YEARS. When I mentioned it to people they would think I was crazy. :noway: .

After some research I found out it was some kind of allergic reaction. I was advised by my Dr. to take an oral antihistamine (Ie. Claritin) at least an hr before going out for a walk. After taking the antihistamine for about 2 weeks the itching seemed to go away with consistent walking, however if you stop walking for 2 weeks or more the itching may come back, and you have to start the antihistamine process again.

Hope this helps!:flowerforyou:
    This is what my dr. told me as well. It seems to only happen when the temp is around 50-65 degrees or colder. I don't get it when it is hot out. Good luck!
  • sassyt76
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I'll try it!:happy: I'll let you know of the results!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sassy, I'm under the impression it could be due to poor circulation. My mother had a very similar problem and was blessed to learn of a natural alternative and is now ITCH-FREE!!!! If you put a little faith in this product, you too could be itch-free and sooner than you know it! Wouldn't you prefer to use something natural rather than me telling you to go ask for a prescription?? The brand is Nature's Sunshine and the bottle is Capsicum. The average price is about $10 per bottle and it's like hot pepper in a capsule. It helps your circulation. I looked it up for you to read the description of the item and it helps those with diabetes. Here goes:

Capsicum is added to many herbal formulas as a catalyst for the other herbs. Capsicum influences blood flow (just watch someone’s face when they eat a food with lots of it), which makes it food for the circulatory system. It has proved efficacious in dilating blood vessels and thus relieving chronic congestion of people addicted to alcohol.

This was Nature's Sunshine’s first product back in 1972 after the founder, Gene Hughes, was taking it by the spoonful to help his stomach. It helped him and helped others and a new business was begun. Capsicum has a high vitamin C content which makes it good as a preventative for colds.

Cayenne also relieves painful muscle spasms in the shoulder, arm, and spine areas, the pain of shingles and diabetic neuropathy. It has also been sprinkled inside socks as a traditional remedy for those prone to cold feet.

Ingredients
    Each capsule contains 520 mg capsicum. The capsicum used in this product contains 35,000–40,000 Scoville Heat Units.

Recommended Usage
    Take 1 capsule four times daily with food.

Give it a shot, Sassy, you won't regret it! My mother is personal testimony :0)
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. But after I started working out on a regular basis it stopped.
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    Ya this used to happen to me a lot! Completely normal!
  • sassyt76
    Options
    I'm just so glad it isn't just me that this has happened to. Thanks for all the remedies!