Low cal vegetable lasagna?

Options
spammy4145
spammy4145 Posts: 68 Member
Hello all. Does anyone have a good low calorie vegetable lasagna recipe?? I'm looking for a good one to make. Any would be appreciated. Thank you!!:smile:

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ah, low CAL! I read it as "low carb"... which is what I'm doing.

Sadly, I don't think I'd ever want to eat a low cal lasagne. That would be the end of the world. Which is why I'm in a bit of a bummer, because I need to find a gluten free alternative to the pasta noodles.

So, I'm thinking instead of pasta, I'll use thinly sliced vegetables, such as eggplant. Or, perhaps, layers of shredded silverbeet or spinach.

While it may not be low cal, it would probably be lowER cal, which counts in my book.
  • mrsblinn
    Options
    I have heard of people subbing out lasagna noodles for slices of zucchini, while I have never made it (lasagna takes too much effort), I have eaten it, and it was AWESOME!!!!! Doing that would lower carbs and calories
  • loomenb
    Options
    I do not know exactly how much lower cal it would be, but as a healthier, and higher protein version of vegetarian lasagna, I have substituted extra firm tofu for the ricotta. You break it up and mix it up with seasonings and eggs (if you're not vegan) the texture ends up being very similar to ricotta. Also maybe use lower fat cheese in your lasagna too. Always add veggies like squash, bell peppers, and onions, these will give you lots of extra flavor without a lot of extra calories.

As for gluten free, there are gluten free brown rice pastas that are pretty good in lasagna. When it comes to gluten free pastas, there are a lot of good ones out there, I prefer the brown rice to corn or other substitutes, and the only brand I would say that I definitely avoid is de Boles. Tinkyada is one of my favorites.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Make a moussaka instead which substitutes eggplant for the pasta. I made this last week with chicken mince. Delish. Use lots of veggies and fresh herbs in your meat sauce for flavour and go easy on the oil. Make your white sauce with ricotta (instead of traditional berchamel). Put a little grated parmesan and chedder on the top only.

I made a variation on this for less than 300 calories per serve and it was delicious :smile:

http://blog.doyoueat.com.au/2011/03/recipemoussaka-with-thermomix.html
  • kwennerholm
    kwennerholm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make an awesome lasagna! I use whole wheat noodles but also use slices of roasted eggplant, zuchinni, and mushrooms. I cut the cheese in half and use fresh basil and tomato SAUCE, not a pasta sauce. Yummy.
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've seen a really yummy looking vegetarian lasagna recipe that kind of mixes 2 of the above idea- eggplant substituted for the noodles and tofu for the ricotta. It looked fabulous and had a bunch of other vegetables mixed in with it :)
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how low cal you're looking for, but I make this and it's super easy, delicious, and not too heavy. And these portions are not small by any means, so you could probably make it 10 servings if you wanted and cut the cals even more if you wanted, but I enjoy it as what it makes. :)
    Hope this helps!

SpinachLasagna_zpsee342d51.png

ETA: You could also sub out eggs for the equivalent amount of egg whites and lessen the cals a bit there too.
  • Vikkiiza
    Options
    I have never figured the calories but I have made a basic marinara sauce a little on the thick side and added sliced mushrooms, yellow squash, zuccini, onions and green pepper, I use low fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and I also used low fat shredded cheese. We love it. Think I'll make some this weekend but will need to calculate those calories. :wink:
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    I don't know if you're familiar with the Looneyspoons series of cookbooks, but the second book (Crazy Plates) has a great vegetable lasagna recipe. I've been making it for years and every time I make it people always ask for the recipe.

If you have the book the name of the recipe is called Less On Ya Lasagna. It's about 350 calories a serving and I find the servings to be quite generous.

I did a quick google search to see if anyone else had posted the recipe (so I didn't have to type it out!) and I found it...here it is:

http://whatwouldsunnyeat.blogspot.ca/2012/01/recipe-looneyspoons-less-on-ya-lasagna.html

And though it doesn't specify in the recipe I use spinach lasagna noodles instead of regular. It goes well with the veggie theme and makes for a nice presentation.
  • weightloser122
    Options
    i just made skinnytastes spinach lasagna rolls
    photo20_zps6a4348d2.jpg
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't know about lasagna, but this recipe for spaghetti pizza is divine:

http://www.weightwatchers.ca/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=126131

It's pretty low calorie as well; one serving the way I slice 'em is about 220 calories, and it's filling!
  • babsmoran
    Options
    bump