Gave up Aspartame

Options
Hi everyone,
I recently gave up anything containing aspartame, mainly for me it was sweeteners in coffee/tea and diet pop. I've been having mild headaches ever since and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.. maybe it's some sort of withdrawal symptom or something?

Replies

• Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the sweetener but when I gave up pop I got the infamous caff headaches! Lasted about two weeks and then I was fine and I am thrilled I gave up pop (diet pop). When I quit the diet pop my sweet tooth died! And it was my sweet tooth that was always my downfall in dieting.
    Good luck to you!
  • CiciCanD
    Options
    I don't know about the sweetener but when I gave up pop I got the infamous caff headaches! Lasted about two weeks and then I was fine and I am thrilled I gave up pop (diet pop). When I quit the diet pop my sweet tooth died! And it was my sweet tooth that was always my downfall in dieting.
    Good luck to you!

Exact same thing happened me! =) As soon as I cut soda and sweetener out of my diet, my cravings for sweet fixes vanished. I couldn't believe it!

I definitely suffered withdrawal problems with headaches, but again, I found they disappeared after a week or so.

Best of luck and well done for kicking sweetener to the kerb! It's made the biggest change to my eating habits to date.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Good to know others had similar side effects :)
  • getto123
    Options
    Aspartame is highly toxic, so your body is probably just getting rid of the toxins
  • dancerobin
    Options
    I enjoy a nice, cold Coke Zero every now and then, but am very wary of aspartame.
    What are people's thoughts on Splenda???

What about Stevia?
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the different types of artificial sweeteners, I think if it contains aspartame then it's all the same! I have only heard bad things about it so that's why I chose to give it up!
  • snowwolf64
    snowwolf64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check your toothpaste as well, most toothpastes have some form of artificial sweetener in them. As current dental reccomendations are not to rinse after cleaning your teeth, just spit the excess toothpaste out, you're bound to end up ingesting at least some.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I recently gave up anything containing aspartame, mainly for me it was sweeteners in coffee/tea and diet pop. I've been having mild headaches ever since and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.. maybe it's some sort of withdrawal symptom or something?

I experienced the same. It could be the caffeine maybe too, I am not sure. You will feel much better without it, I know I do! :)