Any other college kids living on campus?

Options
Maybe you're here because you ended up with the Freshman Fifteen. Or the Sophomore Twenty. Or the Senior Thirty.

Is anyone else at the mercy of a college dining hall? Do you find it harder to make good choices than you would living somewhere you could cook for yourself?

Personally, I'm always tempted to eat off campus or buy my own snacks and stuff for meals... but my meal plan is $1800 a semester and I feel guilty if I don't use it.

Replies

• Effulgence
    Effulgence Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't dorm so fortunately I do get the luxury of groceries and home cooked meals most nights, but I do have a meal plan for my monday, wednesday and friday classes so I can relate to that. Our cafeteria has a Dunkin Donuts, a Denny's, a Subway, and a burrito place. It's rough. Even the non fast food stuff is pretty bad. I got a small "simply to go" chicken for lunch once and it ended up being close to 700 calories, which I didn't discover until I got home and looked it up. There's very few healthy options, except for bruised apples and prepackaged salads. I get the salads a lot but they get so boring...

Yeah...

Stupid college.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i am! and yes its rough but possible
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Do you have to use the meal plan you pay for? If not, can't you just stop paying for it and buy all your own food?
    Personally, I would hate that. I have a similar set up in that I don't buy my own food but I can prepare from ingredients bought for me to use (I am a live in nanny) so I feel your pain when you can't have complete control!
  • fatfriendonadiet
    fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to have it in order to live on campus.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That sucks! The university I'm looking at transfering to ( second year college commerce student ) has a meal plan for first time students only thank god . I think it would be so hard ! I gained freshmen 15 cooking by myself last year till I turned paleo . Do they have healthy options ever ? Can you opt out in your next year.? It's hard to live that way I don't blame you for wanting to go off campus to eat.
  • caitlinhepworth
    Options
    I am soooo on the same boat as you! I hate eating on campus but I'm scared to move off next year and cook for myself!