Re: calorie burn

Options
This may seem like a stupid question,

When on the Elliptical, treadmill or stairmaster, do you use the calories that come up on the equipment or work it out on here? cos a lot of people are saying the gym equipment calculation is wrong and that it depends on your height and weight as to how many calories you burn so that means you need to ignore what the equipment says and just look at how long you have done it for and how many miles?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I guess I should get a heart rate monitor cause I read here that is best but for now I just enter my weight on the machine I'm on and use the calories from the machine. I've been losing slow but steady so I guess it's working out for me.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    HRM is best.

The machines at my gym, allow you to input your weight and age, and they for the most part match the output of my HRM.
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find the my exercycle and on here match exactly (give or take 5 calories) but my treadmul so so mean, according to it I burn very few calories compared to what MFP tells me so I go with MFP since it also matchs my exercycle.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If the machine lets you input your height, sex, age and weight while taking a consistant heart rate reading they will be accurate. However, most don't (at least at the gym I used to go to and the machines I have at home). MFP also isn't all that accurate. If you can, get a heart rate monitor for the best reading. I have found with my heart rate monitor, it is just over half of what MFP says.
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My treadmill does not take weight or age into account. I got a HRM a couple of weeks ago and it indicates that I've been burning more calories than the treadmill says.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I always use the calorie count from the elliptical or treadmill I use, especially if it lets me enter my weight first. It might not be extremely accurate but it does give you a pretty good idea, which is better than no idea.
  • cola567
    cola567 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kool Thank you this is helpful