EMOTIONAL EATING

Options
Yesterday my dog of 13 years died. I can't believe that I totally lost it. I ate chicken nuggets, peanut butter cream cookies, strawberries with sugar and whipped cream and potato chips. These foods were crammed down without a thought, except pain and then guilt. I ended up consuming 600+ more calories than I have set for myself.
I managed to exercise for 60 minutes on the ellipitical machine and on the stationary bike, but I am ashamed of myself. I'm not new to this change in life style, as I've been working on losing weight since August of last year, (50 lbs. so far and around 45 to go), but I went back to the old me of trying to feel better by stuffing myself with food. Bummer

Replies

• ABARNHART
    ABARNHART Posts: 25
    Options
    Yesterday my dog of 13 years died. I can't believe that I totally lost it. I ate chicken nuggets, peanut butter cream cookies, strawberries with sugar and whipped cream and potato chips. These foods were crammed down without a thought, except pain and then guilt. I ended up consuming 600+ more calories than I have set for myself.
    I managed to exercise for 60 minutes on the ellipitical machine and on the stationary bike, but I am ashamed of myself. I'm not new to this change in life style, as I've been working on losing weight since August of last year, (50 lbs. so far and around 45 to go), but I went back to the old me of trying to feel better by stuffing myself with food. Bummer
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost your Dog...peace be with you.

Don't beat yourself up over the splurge...forgive yourself and get back in the saddle!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'm so sorry to hear that!! Our pets turn into our babies, don't they?? But you did a fantastic job turning yourself around! You jumped on the elliptical and worked your fanny off, which is a ton better than I did yesterday when I lost a job oppurtunity and got depressed and munched my little teeth out. I'm doing better today and really trying to watch the calories, but what we've both learned is to jump on that elliptical or go for a run or write it out even instead of eating away the pain.

I hope your day goes better today!!
    M
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :flowerforyou:

Don't beat yourself up. This is what life is about, unfortunate things happen and you may lose control for a day or two or even three. The key is to get yourself back on track and forget about the over consumption of food and move on.

You are doing an amazing job, 50lbs gone already!!

You can do this!

• ABARNHART
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I only joined this, this week and can already tell it's the place I should be. Your encouragement is so helpful. I'm going out to garden now and get away from the fridge.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: ooo.....snuffel the flowers for me!!!! I'm stuck here at a darn desk :grumble:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo sorry to hear about your dog!:frown:

big hugs and happy gardening!!! great idea to keep you busy and out in the fresh air....I hope you feel better....I lost 3 dogs I had since puppies over the years and I agree they can be like your children....so one more hug for the road!:wink:
    Ali :drinker:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your dog:flowerforyou: And I agree with Megan, you didn't sit around feeling sorry for yourself after eating, you tried to correct your mistakes! Don't worry about it, we all do it at sometime or other, heck, just today I did some heavy bingeing, just because it's grocery day lol!!! Congrats on what you've accomplished already:flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog. :flowerforyou:

Don't beat yourself up about your emotional eating response. Like my mom always says, "Sometimes you have to have a little sweet to go with the bitter." One day is not going to undo all of your progress. If that's how you needed to deal with it yesterday, then so be it. You hopped on your elliptical, so it's done. No worries. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Its so sad when animals die.
    Dont beat yourself up over it youll get back on track when you feel better. Two of my cousins died this week and i know how you are felling i have ate and ate and ate till i am stuffed!!!! I think it will take me a few days to get back properly.

Keep your chin up.

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Its so sad when animals die.
    Dont beat yourself up over it youll get back on track when you feel better. Two of my cousins died this week and i know how you are felling i have ate and ate and ate till i am stuffed!!!! I think it will take me a few days to get back properly.

Keep your chin up.

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Oh my goodness. My condolences.....:flowerforyou:
  • ABARNHART
    Options
    Pam,
    I'm hoping that things are going better for you. Get yourself outside if you are still down. I've managed to get to my garden, daily, and things are getting better. I still miss my dog, but am now realizing how much better I made his life. He was abused before I got him and we were best pals. I will always miss him, but just realizing how much better his life was, because of me, has made things better.

If you are still over eating, because of your loss, find a way to get out of your house and away from your food. I understand where you are going, but let's try to stop before the guilt kicks in. I am seind a hug your way.:happy: