Fitbit question

Options
I just bought a Fitbit today, and I really like it. One thing I don't like about it, however, is the food database, and the fact that it doesn't have a scanner on the phone app. I was told by someone that you can Sync your Fitbit to Myfitnesspal, and use this food database. The person that told me this said that he uses it on his iphone, and I have an android. Does anyone know if its possible to sync with an android, and if so, can you please explain to me how to do it, since I can't figure it out!

TIA!

ETA - I don't plan on using it to monitor my sleep, so in the morning, when I put it back on, do I need to "wake it up" or anything, or does it already know that its the next day?

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    yes you can sync it to a android but it has to be the galaxy 3 ... I have the galaxy 2 so it wont sync to mine ....I log my food on MFP and log my exercise on fitbit.com I hope that helps .... I havent used my to use for sleep either ... I just put it on when I wake up and take it off when I go to bed ....hope that helps...It automatically goes to the next day for ya :o)
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I can never remember the name of this phone, but I know its not a galaxy 3... Thats a bummer! Thanks for the info!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    you're welcome ..... this lil gadget has gotten me and my *kitten* up and moving .... I walked with my kids 2 days outside and today I did a leslie sansone walking 3 mile dvd .... I love it
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Yeah its funny - I've run up and down the stairs a few times just to get my count up. I can't wait for tomorrow when I'll have this thing for the entire day!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yeah its funny - I've run up and down the stairs a few times just to get my count up. I can't wait for tomorrow when I'll have this thing for the entire day!

I love my Fitbit, but I still can't get it to sync decently on my galaxy III phone.

Not such a big deal, I can keep an eye on it at work and then sync with the computer when I get home.

Did you set it up to sync with MFP? That's the most helpful to me.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting a fitbit since they first came out but I'm in Canada and they didn't deliver here until recently and I'm someone who has to physically see something before buying it, I wanted to get it from a store, not order online, so I was thrilled to discover that they sell it at the Apple Store which recently opened in my hometown so I want to get the fitbit one this week. I have a question for you all first though. I don't have a smart phone (last one the planet I'm sure), is the fitbit still a useful tool without a smart phone?
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You don't need a smartphone or an Iphone to use Fitbit. I have had my Fitbit for a year now. I am using MyFitnessPal for inputting my food and then using the Fitbit site for my exercise. The two of then download together. (They are linked online. No smartphone needed.) I was so excited to finally get the Fitbit app for Android! I do have the Samsung Galaxy III. the problem is, I have a fitbit Ultra, NOT the Fitbit One. so unfortunately, it will not download directly to my cell phone. But it is pretty cool as I get updates and reminders and motivational things throughout the day on my cell (like I only need 500 more steps to hit 10,000). It is pretty cool! Also, now that I have the MyFitnessPal app on my phone, I can enter my food throughout the day instead of waiting until I come home. Again, having the smartphone is cool, but not necessary. I love my Fitbit! I used to use an Omron pedomoter that uploaded data to my computer. But it was much larger and cumbersome!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Go to the APPs tab on the MFP site and select FitBit. It will walk you though the syncing process. You don't need to be able to sync your fitbit to your phone, it will sync with your computer whenever you are within range. I like that I can sync it with my phone because then I get more accurate updates as to my activities for the day so I can make adjustments to my caloric intake as needed throughout the day. Otherwise sometimes I would be in the position to consume 1400 calories at dinner on some days.

I log all my food on MFP and all my activity on fitbit, and fitbit automatically updates a "fitbit activity adjustment" under exercise on my diary. I have found that to be the most effective use of the two sites for me.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just sync your fitbit to MFP, no syncing to your phone required. It's up there under APPS.
  • icandoit63
    icandoit63 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    can you use the fitbit in a pocket? i bought the omron because it was cheaper and i worried i would loose the fitbit. Is there a safety thing to it so you dont loose it?
  • blackbirdblue
    blackbirdblue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here is how to link your accounts -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/295-how-do-i-link-my-fitbit-account-with-my-myfitnesspal-account

Here is what information is passed -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/297-what-information-is-synced-between-my-fitbit-and-myfitnesspal-accounts

Basically use fitbit to track your steps and to manage your calorie goals but track all your food and water in MFP.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    I clip my fitbit one to my bra or I put it in my pocket
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys!
  • dogpeeps
    dogpeeps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just contacted fitbit customer service asking about my Motorola Droid and I was told they are working on getting it to sync but nothing yet … so I wait too..
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!!!!!

I have one more question - Do I really need to add my exercise into this account now? I mean, the fitibit is counting it, isn't it? If I wear it while on the treadmill, and then enter the calories burned into myfitnesspal, will that be like entering it twice?

TIA!!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    What I do is log my food into MFP and my exercise into fitbit.com ....if you log it in both places it will count it twice
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    good info! I'm saving this for when I get my Fitbit!
  • icandoit63
    icandoit63 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thank you