Women weight training advice / success stories / friends

Options
Hi - I currently weigh 155.6 and would like to get to a very toned 135. I always did some sort of strength training but recently I have upped it in intensity and duration and I have to say I love it!! From what I keep hearing this is the way to go to achieve the all over sculpted and toned look as well as getting strong, fit and healthy. I started Les Mills Pump 5 weeks ago and I am using weights ranging from 25 to 40 lbs depending on the exercise 3 x week. I really love this program. I also am doing Les Mills Combat which is also great. I am training for a Tough Mudder event in July and I know I will need more upper body strength for that too. I just put up my pull up bar so I am working with that also. I can only squeeze out 1 pull up right now and maybe a couple half ones during the day. I'm sick of hearing everyone say I'm too old to get a super toned body!! I know I can if I really put in the effort! Any helpful info anyone can give me on weight training / nutrition to achieve the results I want would be great. . Also would love to have more weight training friends.

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You are never too old! There is a lovely lady lurking around here on the forums, a police officer i beleive, who is in her 50's and now has the body of a 20 yr old model from weight training. Look up some of the weight lifting success stories and you will find her. I myself am a beleiver in weight training, i have seen some great results and will never look back!
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    Hey! I don't have advice but wondered if you joined the weight lifting group...I joined because I am at the very, I mean very, beginning of wanting to incorporate weights. So I searched the groups. There is a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women which a lot of people have recommended.
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What is the name of the group? There is so many of them.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm weight training too and I love it! I'm following Jamie Eason's livefit program and I'm in the middle of week three and I definitely can see an improvement already!
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been doing body pump for about 6 months. Its a great program and I have an awesome instructor. I just signed up for some personal training sessions so I can learn to use the smith machine etc w/o feeling self conscious so I am looking forward to that. I checked out the youtube links in the stronglifts 5x5 for women group and changed to do complete squats (quads parallel to the ground) and chest presses (to the chest) and it really makes a difference. It would be great to have a lifting friend.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bumping so the awesome lady lifters in my friends list will see this
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I'd love to join a lifting group! I'm in LOVE with lifting :happy:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was doing BodyPump but had to stop because of a knee injury.

I had surgery and switched from Pump to heavy lifting... now I can deadlift my (considerable) body-weight.

8456263939_dc4e36b314_z.jpg
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    success stories: see my photos. Weight lifting is my primary form of exercise =)

I also do Body Pump. It has been a great way for me to perfect my form and up my weights slowly without feeling the nervousness of walking the weight area alone. Now I also go into the weight area and am impressed by the crappiness of the peoples form out there haha.. Now I'm squatting 40 x 100 reps -my strength was very diminished. Looking into strong lifts in the next 4-8 weeks to build more power and added physique improvements.

Edited to put more stuff I talk a lot.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bumping so the awesome lady lifters in my friends list will see this

I totally would have missed this if you didn't bump it! Good job Taso! :drinker:
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi! You are Never too old to try weight training!!! I think its great!!!! :D
    I have taken body pump classes before & Loved it
    I would like to get back into going again &/or possibly do some workouts at home
    Where did you get your home workout dvd's??

I have alot of friends that have done the New Rules for Lifting for woman book
    They highly recommend the book and have had much success w/the program

Have you ever tried crossfit?

Keep up the great work....all of you!! :)
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I got my dvd's from Beachbody. Love them. Never tried crossfit but the girl I work with does it and she loves it. I don't go to the gym anymore though since we build a workout room in my backyard. It's great!!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi - I currently weigh 155.6 and would like to get to a very toned 135. I always did some sort of strength training but recently I have upped it in intensity and duration and I have to say I love it!! From what I keep hearing this is the way to go to achieve the all over sculpted and toned look as well as getting strong, fit and healthy. I started Les Mills Pump 5 weeks ago and I am using weights ranging from 25 to 40 lbs depending on the exercise 3 x week. I really love this program. I also am doing Les Mills Combat which is also great. I am training for a Tough Mudder event in July and I know I will need more upper body strength for that too. I just put up my pull up bar so I am working with that also. I can only squeeze out 1 pull up right now and maybe a couple half ones during the day. I'm sick of hearing everyone say I'm too old to get a super toned body!! I know I can if I really put in the effort! Any helpful info anyone can give me on weight training / nutrition to achieve the results I want would be great. . Also would love to have more weight training friends.

I say try a program that is full body workout with weights (heavy for you to where you can do 5-7 reps with correct form but no more) and cardio 4-5x a week. once you do that for awhile try a 4 day split program where you do 2 days of upper body and 2 days lower body. There are a lot of programs out there just find one that looks like something you might want to do. But I say definitely start with a 3 day weight lifting program with added cardio. Rest, Drink Water, and have fun. :)