Shirataki noodles?

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonscotty
    shannonscotty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I swear by them!! The best way to cook them is too dry fry them like a stirfry. Throw some chicken, shirataki noodles and a low cal sauce into the wok and you're good to go! Stir frying these noodles really help to create a more normal taste rather than boiling them!
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think these are fab. I havent' had them in a while but am going to get some more. They way I use them is pre cooking.. wash them then dry them on paper towel. This gets rid of the fishy smell and the slimey texture. I use them instead of rice, pasta or noodles. V good.
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree they are way better in Asian dishes. Not so much in Italian dishes. I love my vegetable spiraler bc I can make zucchini or squash noodles and they are great, just let then dry some or else they can make sauce watery. Oh and a yum recipe is to make an alfredo sauce out of cottage cheese.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tried them a year or two ago, and found I could tolerate them in asian dishes, but they were really just not something I'd like to eat regularly. I'm not sure if you've ever tried this, but I sub "zucchini noodles" for pasta now:

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/07/30/zucchini-noodles/

The spiral peeler is around $30, but I use it at least once a week, and way more than that in the summer when zucchini is in season. It works with yellow squash too--which looks more noodley in color, because I don't peel my zucchini. I'm not sure of the exact calorie/carb count, but it is pretty darn low. I've made them with a chicken/broccoli stir fry, a sort of thai nutty sauce, in "faux pho," and with plenty of italian dishes--even my husband and my friends who would just as soon eat regular pasta liked them!
  • cc_11
    cc_11 Posts: 6
    Options
    They're great! Put some low cal marinara on them... so good.

Sounds good! I am thinking of making a baked spaghetti with them tonight. Will let you guys know how they turn out!
  • cc_11
    Options
    I tried them a year or two ago, and found I could tolerate them in asian dishes, but they were really just not something I'd like to eat regularly. I'm not sure if you've ever tried this, but I sub "zucchini noodles" for pasta now:

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/07/30/zucchini-noodles/

The spiral peeler is around $30, but I use it at least once a week, and way more than that in the summer when zucchini is in season. It works with yellow squash too--which looks more noodley in color, because I don't peel my zucchini. I'm not sure of the exact calorie/carb count, but it is pretty darn low. I've made them with a chicken/broccoli stir fry, a sort of thai nutty sauce, in "faux pho," and with plenty of italian dishes--even my husband and my friends who would just as soon eat regular pasta liked them!

I love zucchini! This will be a great substitute if the Shirataki noodles fail me! Thanks!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've quite liked using leeks cut into thin strips - after seeing it being used to replace lasagne sheets on 'the hairy dieters'.
    100g is 25 calories - about one leek's worth, which is a fair bit.
  • nstone7046
    Options
    I thought it was disgusting, I couldn't handle the texture of it. I found spagghetti squash a better alternative
  • cc_11
    Options
    Ok. So I had these noodles for dinner in a stir fry--got too lazy to make the baked spaghetti. After two bites, I started imagining eating worms and wanted to vomit.

Ugh.

I really want to like these noodles! Has anyone tried just yam noodles?
  • Ferraro518
    Options
    Yes and I can't say that I enjoyed them. They really don't have much of a taste but the consistency/texture really threw me off. Kind of difficult to describe but sort of like chewing something rubbery. Definitely a required or only tolerated taste.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I rinsed them in hot water and dry fried them. Anything tastes good smothered in Alfredo sauce. They weren't great but they're not worse than spaghetti squash in my opinion.