1/2 Marathon training

Options
Today is day #1 of starting my 1/2 marathon training. I have been running around 6-7 kms 3 times per week so am excited to kind of step it up a notch and follow the program! My first half marathon is Oct3/2010 and is women only so I am really excited about that! Anyone else gearing up for a race or event! I would love to hear some tips or experiences!

Replies

• tmwagner
    tmwagner Posts: 1
    Options
    where are you doin your half marathon i am also lookin at doin a half marathon in oct in levenworth?? cant wait to hear how ya do
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Which marathon are you running? There are lots of runners on MFP! Ask away, you'll get tons of advice!

Remember to ice your knees right after you run if you feel any pain and stretch before and after. The nathan brand running belt is the best for carrying water.. the vanilla creme Gu is the best flavor. Do you have a runner's watch? I'd invest in a garmin if you don't have one. It really helps to track your distance and time. Run with a buddy. It makes it easier. Water is given out every 2 miles so if you feel the need to walk, walk for 30 s every 2 miles (that's when you'll drink your water during the race). 1/2 banana before and after a run helps. And drink lots of water. Invest in the running socks and good shoes (have your feet analyzed if you haven't already)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the USAF Half Marathon in Dayton, OH in September! It's going to be a slow process..but I'll get there! I run two shorter and one long every week, longest to date is 9 miles but that was over a month ago. Ran 8 last week, going to try to do 8.5 this weekend. Good luck!
  • Mldavids
    Mldavids Posts: 5
    Options
    I am doing my half marathon in British Columbia, Canada in a town called Quesnel! I posted the link below to the half marathon schedule I found that seems pretty good for someone who doesn't run super far distances often! I am so excited to do it! Good luck to you guys as well on your half marathons! Do you guys have anyone to train with or are you doing it solo? I am pretty sure I am on my own in terms of training but that is ok because I think I need the mental challenge as well! lvfunandfit - thanks for the advise, I was looking at those Nathan bottle holders in a magazine so I think I will definitely be ordering one! Yes, I have the right shoes, I used to work at the Running Room here in Vancouver so luckily I am able to know what my footies need in terms of shoes! You guys rock! Thanks so much for the info and support!

http://www.stridesrunning.com/ClinicsPages/BeginnerHalf.htm
  • Shanyb
    Shanyb Posts: 3
    Options
    Very cool!!!! And good for you. I have run one full marathon (in Vancouver with Team in Training) about 6 years ago and have completed several 1/2 marathons since then. I like the half much better because it's less wear and tear on the joints and body. You can do it, girl! Just make sure you're following all the health tips you're given- hydration, fueling your body, good running shoes, etc. And most importantly, have accountability partners. There's nothing more exhilerating than when you've finished a half after all the training you've endured. : )