diabetes

Options
:sad:

I have tried and tried to find out how many grams of sugar I can have per day. I am currently on metformin 2 x day, and 40ccs of lantus at night. I am trying very hard to find out my correct nutrional facts. This program, provides me with nutrional facts, such as caloric intake per day, protein per day, etc. I just want to know if I am doing everything right. Please help!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You need to discuss this with a doctor and monitor blood glucose carefully. None of us are physicians and/or qualified to give potentially serious medical advice. :)
  • SOCKMONKEYBOBO
    SOCKMONKEYBOBO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Most insurance companies will cover a physian referral for a diabetic visit with a nutritionist at your local hospital. It's a way to get the info you need
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I will help you just a sec
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    You are on maxed out metformin and you are taking basal insulin - are you taking aspart as well with meal timings?

You need to discuss this with your endocrinologist - MFP is not designed for Insulin dependent diabetics - but working with your endocrinologist you can customize the settings to make sure you are getting adequate intake at each meal.

Nobody on this forum has your blood work - has seen your HbA1C trends or is qualified to have this discussion, talk to your doctor
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and don't even look at my sugar...instead I watch my carbs and try to keep them between 30-60g per meal.
    I do my best to stick to 1700 calories per day and try to at least walk 3-4 times per week for about 20-30 minutes. I dropped 35 lbs last year and was able to get off my insulin...
  • ksmcanter
    ksmcanter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. From what everyone is telling me, I am doing great with the carbs. Congratulations on coming off of the insulin. I have only been on it for 2 weeks, and I don't like doing it. I was on Victoza and 2000 mil a day of metformin. Hopefully, this mfp will help me a lot. I have already met new people in the last few hours!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    are you a Doctor..if you are I appreciate the information. I know exactly what my Alc is, because that is why I was put on the insulin 2 weeks ago. I didn't expect for anyone on here to tell me the exact amount of sugar I could have, I just didn't know if there was a cut off that you couldn't go over, like there is in protein, fat, etc. As for an endocrinologist, the two I have had sucked. My PCP has done more for me than any endo Doctor. The first Doctor I had, I had him for 5 years. He was ok, sometimes I couldn't understand him because he was from another country, but he was constantly doing (poking me with a needle) in my thyroid to make sure I didn't have cancer. I later found out from an ENT, I didn't have to go through all of that pain, that, it was unnecessary, that the endo should have gotten what he needed in 2 or 3 withdrawals, and not do 17, where I couldn't even speak fr the next few days. As far as the second endo., I got tired of waiting in his office for 3-4 hours everytime I went for an appointment. Then, I would rarely see him, it was always the NP. So, I do know the ropes....thank you for you information.
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    Thank you. From what everyone is telling me, I am do great with my carbs. I just have to hang in there. I have always been obese, even as a child, and this is very hard for me, but, with God and people like you to help me, I think I will do quite good. Have a good day!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    Yes, I know that, I have been through all of that. I have even had a lap band (which I lost 70 pounds) but, I stayed dehydrated all the time, ending up in the ER to get fluids. After about 3 months of that, ending up inpatient in the hospital 3 times, they discovered I had gastroparesis from the diabetes...so, they had to remove the lap band...and here I am again!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    I appreciate you for your help. It definitely concerns me now, if, I should have gotten on this forum. Some people can be quite ugly. I didn't ask everyone for a diagnosis, I was just asking for help, which seems to have been the wrong thing to do. I am 60 yrs old, I didn't know if I had to watch my sugar intake, I was merely checking with people on this forum. I went to nutrition class about 18 years ago...I have been obese since I was a child...I know the ropes, it is just very hard for me to do this, and I am grateful I found mfp. Again, thank you!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    Also, I check my blood sugar 4 times a day...Thank you!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    Also, I do not take aspart. Thank you!
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    I couldn't find if I had replied to your post or not. Thank you for your information. I just want you to know I do have a Doctor, I am definitely not stupid. Being 60 yrs old and having 9 different diseases now, and I had cancer 31 yrs ago. I had level 4 melanoma. I don't know if you know anything about this cancer, since, you or any other are physicians, but, it is a very rapid cancer. I am blessed to still be here, and I have Vanderbilt Hospital and my team of physicians for their help that long ago. I take 8 pills a day, that doesn't include my insulin, and it doesn't include an aspirin a day, and niacin. I also have TIA's, which I don't know if you are familiar with...I also have GERD, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, degenerative disc disease, scoliosis, and the diabetes. Again, thank you!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. From what everyone is telling me, I am doing great with the carbs. Congratulations on coming off of the insulin. I have only been on it for 2 weeks, and I don't like doing it. I was on Victoza and 2000 mil a day of metformin. Hopefully, this mfp will help me a lot. I have already met new people in the last few hours!

I"m still taking Victoza...and I am on Metformin 2000mg per day. When I drop another 20 lbs I should be able to get off the Victoza and Metformin altogether.
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    I am no longer on victoza, I was put on lantus two weeks ago. I do 35cc at bedtime. Thanks to all of you for your help!
  • SOCKMONKEYBOBO
    SOCKMONKEYBOBO Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are dibetic and you have the questions you have, get your dr to prescribe a visit to a nutritionalist. You get questions answered and it's covered by insurance
  • ksmcanter
    Options
    thank you for your post. I have been to a nutritionist twice in the last 18 years old.. It is just a personal struggle that I have had since I was 6 years old, with my weight. I appreciate your help!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I"m still taking Victoza...and I am on Metformin 2000mg per day. When I drop another 20 lbs I should be able to get off the Victoza and Metformin altogether.

I could stop my victoza but don't want to due to the side effect of decreased appetite while on it. My provider is letting me stay on it even with a HgbA1C of 5.4% at last visit. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    :sad:

I have tried and tried to find out how many grams of sugar I can have per day. I am currently on metformin 2 x day, and 40ccs of lantus at night. I am trying very hard to find out my correct nutrional facts. This program, provides me with nutrional facts, such as caloric intake per day, protein per day, etc. I just want to know if I am doing everything right. Please help!

visit with your doc and a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes. i had gestational diabetes and my insurance covered the visit with the nutritionist. it's about carbs, not 'sugar' per se. AND, if a food item has more than x grams of fiber, you can deduct x grams of carb - which gets to the issue of not all carbs are created equally. i was only allowed 45 carbs per day. but gestational diabetes is a bit different and the diet slightly more restrictive. cannot stress enough that you should visit with your endocrinologist or nutritionist about this because what was right for me or someone else may not be right for you.