Miracle Noodles-no carbs/calories

Options
Has anyone tried "Miracle Noodles?" Google Offers is running a special on them, and I am really interested in trying them. I am gluten free through Lent and would love to find a replacement. The noodles are calorie free, carb free, wheat free, gluten free and kosher. What are everyones thoughts and opinions?

Replies

• bambis
    bambis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them! The best advice I can give :)
  • kaniskasahu
    Options
    Reason?
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles have replaced noodles in all the asian recipes in my house. amazing, if you already cook terrific asian-noodle-based dishes. if not, ive seen plenty of people disappointed trying to subtitute them into other noodle-based dishes. you wouldnt use fettucini in Pad See Ew, right? ive read other people's complaint about shirataki noodles in their ITALIAN dishes! if you cant already prepare great-tasting asian recipes without shirataki noodles, substituting them in will be not save the dish.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time, couple things to remember, they are NOT PASTA, do not treat them as such. Rinse Really really really well before starting, I prefer a dry fry for them because they are packed in liquid. hot pan no oil, cook until dry, then add seasoning. and Enjoy.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    They probably sell them locally, you might try a small bag. I haven't had much luck but was trying to treat them like pasta. I may give it another shot.
  • bambis
    bambis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They don't taste anything like pasta. They are tasteless and hard to chew.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I prefer my nutrition to have calories.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Absolutely! Any food that has zero calories freaks me right out. WTF is it made of?!
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use them in Asian cooking all the time.
    They are a good substitute for vermicelli or mung bean noodles, or used in delicate soups.

Edit: They are made from the konjac yam which is mainly non-digestible carbohydrate (fibre)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the overwhelming fishy smell when I opened the package. Once I whiffed that, it didn't matter how they tasted after rinsing and cooking. /gag
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Absolutely! Any food that has zero calories freaks me right out. WTF is it made of?!

Hope and desperation my friend, hope and desperation ... ;)
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought them on sale at whole foods---wasn't that impressed. I still have one pkg left
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In Australia we have a brand of 'pasta' called Slimpasta, it's basically made from a vegetable, no carbs and only 10 calories per serve. It looks like pasta but wouldn't pass as pasta, I like it and use it to make spaghetti, etc. To me I'd rather have a really awesome sauce and not have pasta opposed to the other way around. It saves 300 calories per 'pasta' dish I make so I'm willing to compromise.
    As for the fishy smell, you need to rinse them really well and you won't even notice if after, both taste and smell.
  • NEVER HAD THEM BUT YOU CAN FIND AWESOME WAYS TO COOK THEM ON LINE. I WANT TO TRY ALSO.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We eat them here all the time. I like them. They remind me of rice noodles. That being said, if you LOVE regular pasta and the way wheat flour tastes in pasta you are probably not going to like them a lot. Your mileage may vary. Some people love them. Some people hate them. Since I'm using the noodles of any type strictly as a conveyor of sauce I love them.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    They are springy like rice noodles and like what most people have already said, most compatible with asian noodle dishes. I agree with rinsing thoroughly and drying in a pan. Don't get the tofu versions of them though, those are pretty heavily processed.
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have tried shirataki noodles a couple of times. I do like them especially in tuna noodle casserole. Look forward to trying them in Asian-inspired dishes.
  • sarah11918
    sarah11918 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Miracle Noodles rice substitute, not the stuff pretending to be pasta, and I was really pleased with it. It reminded me of the tiny little pasta balls in Italian wedding soup. I deliberately choose the rice form because I figured it would be easier to treat it as rice and not expect anything truly pasta-like from it. It's good to bulk up something with a sauce already, like a butter chicken for example. Since it passed the first taste test, we have more ordered to arrive tomorrow and I think we're going to try a "fried rice" with it next.

We also really like the Sea Tangle kelp noodles. They are like thin asian noodles, but they will always be a little firm and have a bit of a crunch to them. They'll never get completely soft like noodles. So again, I don't think of it as a pasta substitute, and I wouldn't use it as the main component of a dish, but more like something to add to a sauce/stew-based dish or stir-fry. (And, the veggies are crunchy in a stir-fry anyway, so it's totally not out of place.)
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think they are nice to make you feel like you are eating normal food (on a lower carb plan currently), but they are kind of pricey. I tend to eat a full bag and they are something like $3.50 ea in Canada at the health food store.