Low Carb Vs. Paleo Vs. Plant Based Diets...what do you do?

Options
I'm a nutrition junky, I read and read and read and then read some more...wanting to soak up article after article of information. Currently I'm working the Whole 30 diet which is sort of a mix of Paleo but stricter. However, after some food allergy testing, my life changed when I saw allergies/sensitivities to wheat, gluten, corn, dairy to name a few.... I also eliminate soy (another product OVER done in our society now), because of the extra estrogen hormones naturally produced by soy.

SO needless to say, I was already on an elimination diet before doing Whole 30. OF course now I come across the controversy's of Paleo vs Low Carb diets vs. Plant based diets.

Now...I have to admit, I'm a meat eater...I LOVE meat, and I'll be honest, I like veggies and fruit..but only certain veggies lol!! I couldn't ever imagine myself eating a vegetarian diet. Now the biggest question, and I'd be interested in hearing about others experiences is what sort of diet do you follow and what are your results? Even on my stricter diet plan I have seen little in the way of weight loss, which is disappointing needless to say, but I have seen extreme improvements in my bloodwork!! for a number of things and specifically my C-reactive proteins.

I worry about vegetarian diets because I no longer want to eat "processed foods", such as pastas/grains (can't anyway!), convenience foods or the like...which I see become a staple for many vegetarians.

I do try to focus on eating lean grass fed proteins, and I try to reduce my portions, and my goal is more low starch veggies...

Whats your opinions and whats working for you???

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I am naturally skeptical of any diet that comes with a label. I've done my own reading, and tried to pick the parts that sound like they have the best science behind them, and best fit with my goals. If forced to label my diet, I'd say it's IIFYM coupled with basic moderation and common sense healthy eating.

• I minimize processed foods, saturated fats and salt.
    • I avoid trans fat.
    • I eat red meat in moderation.
    • I try to maximize my fruit and veggie intake.
    • I eat >1g of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, and >0.35g of healthy fats per pound of mass, per day.
    • I consume between 500 and 1000 calories less than I burn every day.

Beyond that, I eat what I want, when I want. I've been steadily losing fat for the last five months. I have more energy, and am in generally better shape, than I think I ever have. Note that I am combining this with cardio and strength training.
  • Wordslave77
    Options
    At the beginning of the year I just got sick of eating enough calories and exercising, but not seeing any results. So I went virtually vegetarian: Veggies and fruits turned into my sources of food, I added beans to my diet, nuts, and fresh-juiced a lot. I cut out breads and starches, sugars, cut back on dairy and meat, and have seen the weight fly off! 15lbs. in just 6 weeks.
    And with no exercise.
    I realized I was doing everything right, and killing myself to do it right, and just had the wrong diet. Now that I've gotten the diet fixed everything seems to be easy.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't maintain any type of strict "diet" but I try to eat a plant based diet ... vegetables, fruit, some dairy, whole grains, and meat and fish thrown in there too. I've maintained a healthy weight for 15 years now. Different plans work for different people. I prefer vegetarian meals but like I said before, I'm not a vegetarian.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Is "none of the above" an option?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

I follow the higher protein version of the "common sense" diet.

This is where I try to eat balanced, healthy foods, but don't sweat even daily small deviations to have a bit of foods not considered "healthy" that I enjoy.

This diet also doesn't care if you skip meals, eat more small or fewer larger meals.

Also the goal is this diet is to INCLUDE foods that are healthy with nothing being labeled off limits.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Not specifically for weightloss, I've tried a lot of different diet-theories. Mainly because I love to cook and love to mix things up. I'd say the thing about me not changing my overall calorie goals, but still trying out vegan-ism or trying out paleo-ism is that if you do those diet-theories for 30 days or so, then you are basically forced to try new things and try new recipes. I LOVE learning new ways to make and eat food.

I make a killer vegan BLT from homemade bacon (made from store-bought tempeh) that impresses anyone that claims vegan food can't taste as good as the original.

I went 99% raw for a couple months. That was fun. No irony there, seriously. I learned how to use a dehydrator and juicer. I can now make raw, vegan spaghetti (made out of zucchini) and COMPLETELY wow my "foodie" friends.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do low carb because a) it works for me (if I stick to it!), and b) if you really think about it, the TRUE approach to low carb is just good eating sense, anyway. Lots of proteins (meat and cheese) and greens (luckily, I LOVE broccoli and spinach), go light on grains (but those you do eat, look for whole grains with high fiber content), even lighter on fruit (sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from), and no junk! Message me if you'd like more details.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and don't deny myself ANYTHING, while incorporating healthy foods, as they make me feel good and keep me looking good. I don't believe in elimination diets. I've tried vegetarianism (two years), veganisim, paleo & low carb in the past...to be honest, they are all bull****. They all left me to deal with different health issues and all left me in a deprived state & binge eating like there was no tomorrow.

Just follow a balanced lifestyle! Learn moderation.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this.
    This is where I try to eat balanced, healthy foods, but don't sweat even daily small deviations to have a bit of foods not considered "healthy" that I enjoy.
    This diet also doesn't care if you skip meals, eat more small or fewer larger meals.
    Also the goal is this diet is to INCLUDE foods that are healthy with nothing being labelled off limits.
    These. Except maybe for the higher protein, and that's purely because I like carbs.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eat according to most paleo/primal principles, and I'm a low carber. I am also sensitive to wheat, gluten, and dairy....and I need to watch my blood sugar (PCOS). I also avoid all soy products.

I really enjoy eating as I do. I don't find it a challenge, nor do I feel deprived of anything. I feel great physically and I am dropping body fat whilst remaining healthy and full of energy.

I eat about 1800-2000 calories/day. Macros are 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carbs. I mostly eat lots of fresh veggies with meat, fish, and eggs.

I'm not a freak about my diet in the sense that when I'm in social situations, I try to make the best choices I can, but I don't stress out about it. If I want to eat something that has one of my foods to be avoided in it, I will eat it in moderation and not worry myself over it. I'll pay for it somehow in symptoms later, but what the hell.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    None, diets that eliminate food groups should be scruntinized. They are stupid at best and lead to eating disorders at worse. Humans can and have adapted to varieties of diets.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It is, but I'm going with D. All of the above.

Eat all the foodz, in whatever proportion you enjoy, and make it fit your macros. There's not a single good reason to make a food lifestyle choice that eliminates entire groups of foods that you enjoy
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

Also the goal is this diet is to INCLUDE foods that are healthy with nothing being labeled off limits.

This one. This is what I do. And I run and have started to tone again too.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

It is, but I'm going with D. All of the above.

Eat all the foodz, in whatever proportion you enjoy, and make it fit your macros. There's not a single good reason to make a food lifestyle choice that eliminates entire groups of foods that you enjoy
    This is what I do.

Sensible choices are the key to long term success. Eliminating foods you thoroughly enjoy is just another way to set yourself up for failure.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I eat according to most paleo/primal principles, and I'm a low carber. I am also sensitive to wheat, gluten, and dairy....and I need to watch my blood sugar (PCOS). I also avoid all soy products.

I really enjoy eating as I do. I don't find it a challenge, nor do I feel deprived of anything. I feel great physically and I am dropping body fat whilst remaining healthy and full of energy.

I eat about 1800-2000 calories/day. Macros are 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carbs. I mostly eat lots of fresh veggies with meat, fish, and eggs.

I'm not a freak about my diet in the sense that when I'm in social situations, I try to make the best choices I can, but I don't stress out about it. If I want to eat something that has one of my foods to be avoided in it, I will eat it in moderation and not worry myself over it. I'll pay for it somehow in symptoms later, but what the hell.

This is what I do (also have PCOS and ensuing insulin resistance), except I played around with macros a little bit and what seems to work for me is 20% carbs, 30% protein, 50% healthy fats. I find that when I focus on meeting those macros everything else falls into place as well... energy levels, overall wellbeing, weight loss and immune function.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    None, diets that eliminate food groups should be scruntinized. They are stupid at best and lead to eating disorders at worse. Humans can and have adapted to varieties of diets.

yep, I hit my calorie goal and prioritize my macros.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I do a low carb high fat. 50+% from fat. 20% or less from carbs and 25% or so from protein.
    I am not rigid about it. But I have noticed that regardless of total calories, if my carb count gets too high weight loss halts or reverse. The CICO thing is only a part of the picture. Only people who are not carb sensitive still think that is all that matters.
    You will see them post things they think apply to everyone. Blanket statements like needing 3 carbs for every protein gram. That may work for some people. But it doesn't work for everyone.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat partly to fuel my body, and partly for enjoyment. For me, none of those plans would do either for me. I eat what I want and there are no "rules".
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat by the paleo principles, but it is not a diet. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life. I have gluten and dairy sensitivies, and it's great that there is the paleo world out there to get recipes and advice from. It really is just "clean eating." They also have an 80-20 rule so that if you want a non-paleo treat -- organic popcorn for me --- you can feel free to indulge. It's okay to put a label on something because in this case when you have special dietary needs it can hook you up with some very useful information.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a nutrition junky, I read and read and read and then read some more...wanting to soak up article after article of information. Currently I'm working the Whole 30 diet which is sort of a mix of Paleo but stricter. However, after some food allergy testing, my life changed when I saw allergies/sensitivities to wheat, gluten, corn, dairy to name a few.... I also eliminate soy (another product OVER done in our society now), because of the extra estrogen hormones naturally produced by soy.

*if you look you will find studies that show the estrogen produced helps protect against osteoporis and heart disease in post menopausal women. Rather like HRT, but using food - soy is not an enemy (food is not an enemy)*

I do try to focus on eating lean grass fed proteins, and I try to reduce my portions, and my goal is more low starch veggies...

*this should read: "my goal is more veggies."*

Whats your opinions and whats working for you???

I don't eat wheat as I am allergic to it. Full out -not anphylaxis, but no cheat days - allergic. I'm lower carb because I have IR. I've always had it... just didn't always know it was anything to worry about.

If I had known in my childhood that I had these health issues, and how to deal with them properly, I would of (instead of waiting until my mid 30's).

If I were to worry about everything out there that some one has written an article about that *may* be some sort of potential link to a health issue I would sit my closet, avoiding sun light and sun screen while eating vit D suppliments made from organic, all natural vegan sources and worrying about the floride content of my water (the only "safe" substance left to consume).

Or, I can realize all that scare mongering is a first world problem, eat a balanced diet within my dietary restrictions, and be thankful that I don't have to eat out of dumpsters.