I need to rant

Options
I need to get this weight off!! Since January, I've lost 3 1/2 pounds that I've been able to keep off for good, the other 2 pounds has been fluctuating. I can see the difference in my body from the exercise I've been doing (I need to start measuring my inches to see how much it's changing), but at what point will the pounds come off. When I talked to the doctor, she said 1-2 pounds a month is how much I should be losing. I'm almost 100 pounds overweight...there's no way I think it should take over 4 years to lose this weight!! I hear other people say that since they were so overweight they lost it quick in the beginning. Last time I told myself I was going to lose weight, I lost 18 pounds without trying as hard as I am now. My husband says not to worry about it as long as I see changes...but I'm OBESE according to the BMI (and I know I am) so shouldn't more be coming off. He also try to comfort me by saying I might be gaining muscle...there's no way I have 229lbs of muscle on this body! I can't stand to look at myself and I don't know how my husband can stand to look at me either. I know he's being honest when he says that it doesn't bother him as long as I don't give up...my recent weight gain was the result of a pregnancy and our son is worth every pound I gained, but he's 8 months old now so I'm ready to get this weight off. I will not give up, but I just needed to rant because this is the hardest it's been for me to lose weight and I'm frustrated!!

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • anniemstead
    Options
    Hi, I know just how you feel - I have started going to the gym 5 times a week and sticking to 1200 cals a day and although I lost 20lbs really easily in the first four weeks I am now stopping losing the weight, try changing your excercise routine i had just been focused on burning 500 calories daily but have now started doing a few weights in the hope that it will kick start things again.

Please don't be disheartened, stick with it, if you can see changes in your body then focus on how well you are looking, believe me I really do know exactly how you feel and have had similar conversations with my husband. Take your measurements as when you see the numbers on the tape measure getting smaller that will definately make you feel better and more determined :) If you need a friend then feel free to add me, and good luck x
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since 1/2 and have eradicated 16 pounds so far...however, I have worked out 30 mins - 90 mins all but 5 days since the beginning. I'm typically eating around 1500 calories a day. It's not been easy at all and last week I really wanted to fall into old, bad but easy habits. However, I started fresh yesterday and worked out 75 minutes and today I'm going to work out about 60 mins cardio and take a class that uses a lot of weights. I'm averaging 2 pounds a week loss, some weeks I don't lose anything. But, I can see the change in my body most of all. I also have 100 pounds to lose. I know that this is going to take a long time and even when I'm where I want to be, I can't go back to my old self. I have to change for good! But if I had done this last year, the year before, or the year before that...well I'd be there. So, don't let yourself give up because it's taking time. Time is going to pass whether you're working at this or not, so you may as well work at it. I've read through lots of threads here to get advice (and have tried to filter through the stuff what was not good advice!) and I just keep on trucking.

Find some things that motivate you (I have a dress I want to fit into hanging on the outside of my closet door) and think about those things when you are feeling down. You will get there. And I'm 42 and have gained and lost weight many times in my life, so I know how hard it can be to take it off!! You can and will do this, just be patient!! And try some different things...maybe up your calories for a week, change up what exercising you're doing, etc. and see what results you get from there. GOOD LUCK, you got this!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?

Yeah, this ^^^. Weight loss, and especially fat loss, which is what you really want, takes some time. As long as you've got some sort of solid plan and are sticking to it, things will move in the right direction. You lost weight in January, so there's not really anything to complain about except that it's not happening at the speed you want it to. I'd like to be not fat ummm like years ago, if that was possible! But it ain't gonna happen, so best thing to do is just keep doing what I do.

Sometimes the scale can be totally stupid and frustrating. If you're not already paying attention to your body's measurements, you should definitely start. Taking photos is another good idea. Also the fit of your clothes. All those things tell a more full story than the scale ever does.

Keep going, you can do it! You already are doing it!
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dont give up!!!! It may take time but its worth it.. its worth it for you....your health... It may not happen as fast as you would like but trust the process and it will... start by giving yourself smaller goals.. 5 pounds at a time.. I noticed your tracker has pounds to go.. that may seem a little daunting..how about changing it to pounds lost??? Even when it says one pound... your one pound closer!!!! Feel free to add me I will be happy to support you anyway I can... You can do this...:):smile:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The above posters are right in that weight loss takes time.

I do understand your frustration however, bigger people often will lose a lot in the first month (although most of that is water) and if you have 87lb to lose it is quite healthy to have a 2lb a week weight loss for the first little while. I don't think your doctor is right when they say you should be losing 1/2 lb a week. I'd expect that of someone with 10 lb to lose, not 87.

What are your stats and how many calories are you currently eating?
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, if you really want to lose it, I'm 45 and I have lost 70 lbs since July of last year. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! You may have to remind yourself everyday why you want to get rid of the fat, that is what I did and it helped me stay focus.
    Promise me you will never give up!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You also have to keep in mind that before you started this "diet", you were probably taking in A LOT more calories than you are now. Rather than jumping into cutting them right down to 1200, you should start closer to where you were eating before and incorporate the exercise and then start reducing by 100 or 200 calories a week until you get to a HEALTHY level. 1200 is not a healthy level for any grown adult. My 5 year old probably eats 1200 in a day.
  • erinmbrown13
    erinmbrown13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If only the weight were as easy to lose as it is to gain! I can relate to your frustration and I've been where you are for over a year now. I can maintain my weight but never seem to lose a pound. I know that if I keep it up and keep trying new ways to incorporate exercise into my day that eventually I will find what works for me and start to see some loss of pounds. Inches are great to show overall improvement but they aren't near as rewarding as seeing that number on the scale drop! Don't quit and never give up on yourself because you are worth it!
  • mama137
    mama137 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate! One thing to consider in addition to what everyone has already posted is that if you are breastfeeding it can really slow down weightloss. Keep being consistant and over time you are going to be amazed not just by the weight you lose but also by your determination!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You said this is pregnancy weight so it took at least 9 months to put on. Continue doing what you're doing and set a reminder on your phone or calendar to check back in 9 months and see how you're doing.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Do not give up!!! And may be read some books on confidence? :) good luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating, and are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, you may be overestimating your exercise cals, or underestimating your calories eaten. I agree with you that you should be losing weight at this point, so unless you are only eating 1200 calories total, you may want to try lowering them a bit, or only eating back half your calories if you are eating them back.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I have gone from sedentary to exercising about an hour and a half a day, I've cut my calories in half and have reduced my intake of pop and started drinking 8+ glasses of water daily. I have lost 14lbs since January 7th. I feel like the pounds should be falling off of me because I made such drastic changes. This is why I started logging on here and reading other peoples comments. The encouragement is helping me to stick to it. It will come off as long as we continue to embrace the new healthier lifestyle. You can do it!!!!
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First of all, love yourself the way you are right now! Your heart is pumping, your legs are getting you where you want to go, and your smile is the same, no matter what weight you are.

Focus on eating healthy, "clean" foods to nourish your body and feel good about what you CAN eat and don't feel deprived by thinking about what you CAN'T eat! Focus on the healthfulness of the changes you are making, not the number on the scale. I know how tough that is, because I have the same issues that you do.

Finding out any medical reasons that might be interfering with your weight loss can give you some answers. Thyroid issues, hidden food sensitivities or allergies, digestive issues and hormone imbalances (stress? lack of sleep?) can all affect your ability to lose weight.

Some people still don't understand that counting calories doesn't work for some of us. I can eat 800 calories a day and still not lose weight! I can work out at the gym 6 days a week and still not lose weight. I feel your pain. I used to hate it when a doctor would say to me, "just eat less and you will lose weight". Not true for some of us. I should weigh 80 pounds, not need to lose 80 pounds if that were the case. :laugh:

Any time you want to share with me, send me a message I am determined to stick to my program. I have added meditation and EFT to my daily diet routine and even if the scale isn't moving, I am not upset.

Keep up the efforts and focus on the positive changes you see in your body. The rest will fall into place.

Hugs,
    Cat
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel and I'm there right now. I started 1/2 and have only lost 3.6lbs. Yeah, that's pathetic. I have drastically changed my eating habits and yet I'm still not losing. It's the same few pounds that I lose and gain back. Still, I keep trying expecting to one day be surprised.

Are you drinking enough water? I know when I don't drink water, I don't lose. I hate the taste so I take the artificial sweeteners over the lack of water.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    My mother-in-law and I started this journey together. While my weight was dropping, she was hardly moving anywhere. She was beyond frustrated, but she didn't give up! Now, she is losing weight like crazy and I am so proud of her! She could have given up, but she didn't! I was baffled by her lack of weight loss, but now she is on a role! The doc had no idea why it wasn't coming off of her either, but now it is! I guess some women's bodies fight back for a while at first. It's never a loss cause and you'll get there! Don't base your body off of anybody else! Biggest Loser is a great example: yeah, they lose double digits each week in the beginning, but they are working with personal trainers for 6 hours a day in the gym! of course they drop tons of weight! Hang in there!!!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Good point...I wouldn't give up. I might be late but at least I made it to my destination!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

For the win!
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's taken me almost 3 years to lose 73 lbs, so I assume it'll take 4 to lose the 100 that I need to lose. There will be good days and bad days. I'm sitting on a 7 month long plateau right now that is making me effing crazy, but I keep on keepin' on. If you are serious about this, you'll stick to it. If you want to give up because the progress is slow, then you'll never get there. Ever.