Need Chili Recipe

kaosvarkas
kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
So I want to make some Chili but I'm trying to do it without using any or at least as little as possible canned goods.

So far I cannot locate a recipe that doesn't include either all canned goods or dry beans and then the rest of the ingredients are canned.

Does anyone here happen to have a recipe for chili without using much canned goods? It would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• I used one that is very good:
    blend ground turkey, beef/sirlion, & pork (equal amounts of very lean meats)
    add: garlic, parsley, chili powder, oregano - mix together with meat mixture
    cut green, yellow, red & orange peppers (1/4 of each pepper)
    1 medium onion
    1 large can diced tomatos (no salt added) u can use 4 large RIPE fresh tomatoes dice & remove seeds
    1 small can tomato paste (no salt added)

cook: meat in pan until almost 1/2 cooked through.
    add: veggie & cook until tender (about 2 mins)

place everything into crock pot & cook about 4 hours. Flavors will blend together, u can add chili mix if desired for added flavor. everything becomes very tender & taste is wonderful. if u like it hot add red pepper. my kids love this :) Donna
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    The only thing I use in chili that's canned in tomatoes.

Ground turkey, zucchini, onion, two different kinds of bell peppers, and sometimes I'll do sweet potatoes. I rarely use beans of any kind, but I'm not a bean person.
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Awesome thank you so much guys :)
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    I would think in summer, fresh tomatoes would be good too. Dice add some broth and stew.
    Isnt there something in canned tomatoes that makes them heathier than fresh. Or some added thing. Could be wrong.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    My recipe calls for canned kidney beans, but you can substitute the equivalent amount in dried beans. You can also make your own taco seasoning if you would like to cut down on sodium.

Slow-cooked Chicken Taco Chili
    Ingredients:
    1/2 sweet onion, chopped
    1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2c salsa
    1/2c frozen corn
    14 oz can pureed tomato
    1/2 packet taco seasoning
    1/2 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tbsp ciantro
    2 chicken breasts, ground (see options)

Combine everything but the chicken in the crockpot. Place chicken on top, and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-9 on low. Stir before serving.
    Makes 4 1.5cup servings
    ** Chicken options:
    I ground the chicken breast but if you don't have a meat grinder, you can cut the chicken into chunks or cook whole. If you cook the chicken whole, remove it half hour before serving and shred then return to crock pot.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    I would think in summer, fresh tomatoes would be good too. Dice add some broth and stew.
    Isnt there something in canned tomatoes that makes them heathier than fresh. Or some added thing. Could be wrong.

Just googled. Guess canned tomatoes are evil :)
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Check out Jamie Eason's Turkey Chili. It is low fat, high protein, and super yummy!
  • One 15oz can of beans is about 1.5 cups, so swapping for home cooked is easy. For diced or crushed tomatoes, use 1.25 cups of tomatoes and 1 cup of water. There are tomato products available in boxes and jars as well, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

That said, this chili gets raves whenever I make it. It's hardy enough for everyone and lean enough for me.

Game Day Chili from Melissa D'Arabian

Serves 6

2 slices bacon, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 pound ground beef
    1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
    3 cups black beans
    2 (14-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    Kosher salt
    Sour cream, for garnish
    Grated Cheddar, for garnish
    Chopped scallions, for garnish

Instructions:
    In a large saucepan or small Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat renders and the bacon is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until the onion softens, about 5 more minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Raise the heat to medium-high, deglaze with the beer, and allow to bubble and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beans, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cocoa, and salt. Stir to combine well. Simmer for 30 minutes, or more, and serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped scallion, if desired.