New member...stuck!

Options
Hello, all. I started using this site about a week ago, mostly out of frustration and a need to see what my main issue was. Since the New Year, I have been trying hard to eat a healthier diet and exercise more. I have been doing yoga almost daily, and some form of cardio every other day (usually walk/jog either outside with the dog - weather permitting, or at the gym with the elliptical, bike, or treadmill). That's not a hard and fast schedule. Of course there are times where I go a couple of days w/out doing anything...and one week in there I was sick.

I'm just bummed, I guess. My weight has not changed at all in the past two months, despite all of my efforts. Do I feel better? Yes, I do. I knocked off 3 miles on the treadmilll yesterday while my son did a Kid's Yoga class (inside of 45 minutes). I couldn't have done that two months ago. Do I look different? No...not really. Same pair of jeans still fit the same 'ole way. I went to a fundraiser event earlier this month and was almost in tears by the time I got done getting ready (NOT a crier, either!)....b/c of the way everything fit. Er...the way everything did NOT fit. Sigh.

I'm whining, yes...but I've been bottling this up for quite some time. I figured in this forum...out there, somewhere, is someone whose story matches mine, but has seen better success. I figured it was finally time to reach out (I am pretty much an introvert...work from home...not a huge social network) and get some support.

Thanks for any and all support! I will check back as the day goes on. Getting ready to take the dog to the vet. I appreciate any stories, advise, pointers, uplifting remarks, sarcastic/funny comments, spiritual wisdom (any religion), ANYTHING. And no...any future posts I have don't have to be sooooooo long. Ha!

Replies

• WeAreLegend
    WeAreLegend Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my advice
    1. Are you logging everything that is put in your mouth? I mean everything? In general, for MFP to work you must accurately weigh EVERYTHING and log EVERYTHING. Thats how it works. I f you are guesstimating and putting in rough estimate calories, most people will not lose weight like this. You must be a logging warrior.
    2. Perhaps open your profile so we can see your food log and we may be able to help you further.

Keep up the good fight, you will figure it out
  • Cinabean
    Cinabean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am, yes. And if I can't find it in the database, then I'm dragging boxes & packages out to get the content myself. I'm being brutally honest, right down to a tootsie pop I might have for a sweets craving. I had a salad the other day....and it took me forever to add all the parts of it in, but nothing already created in the dbase was exactly what I had eaten.

Open my profile? Wow...that leaves me feeling like I'd be kinda naked. lol. Is there any way to just show it to a few? As stated, I'm new to the site, so am not sure what the typical sharing protocol is....

Thanks for the reply!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You can limit your profile to only those that you are friends with on MFP. Yes, it is scary and it does leave you feeling naked, but if you really want to be honest with yourself it is a good way to let others help you.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    some people reach a plateau or stopping point...such as I did when I went from 231 to 216 and was stuck at 216 for some time before I started losing again. It appears that you have started with a plateau. I would say just keep pushing yourself and doing what you are doing. Maybe try an extra 10 minutes on the elliptical or increase the resistance. I glance at others next to me sometimes to see what resistance they are on because after 15 minutes, I'm already starting to drip with sweat and they are not. Their resistance is usually very low. I personally feel that if I don't sweat, it's not a workout. just keep it up and I think you'll start to see the changes coming. Wish you luck! :)
  • Cinabean
    Cinabean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok...I changed my settings so that "friends" can see my diary. Wow. Scary moment for me. I'm a private person. But hey...if I can log in the Ben & Jerry's I had the other night and be totally honest about the amount, I reckon I can let other people see it. LOL.

When I did the three miles yesterday, I TOTALLY watched the lady that got on the treadmill in the row in front of me. She started AFTER I did...and in no time caught up with me, and then passed me. However, instead of being totally frustrated, I let it motivate me and I ended up maintaining a higher speed for a longer time than I had intended. When she got done and I was cooling down, I told her so! :laugh:

For now, I'm trying to focus on the fact that I feel better, and can do more, longer, than I could two months ago. It's a start, I guess. Sure would like it if those jeans were loose, though!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    just keep moving, don't stop ... it is frustrating but you are feeling better which is a great start