Battle Ropes or Training Ropes

Options
Where did you purchase yours? Would you recommend 1.5" or 2" and is 50ft. a good length. I see them training on biggest loser and they look like a great workout. Any input is appreciated I'm in the process of cleaning up my garage and building myself a simple garage gym without a ton of complex equipment. Tractor Tire, Battle Ropes, Pull up Bar and using my own TRX home made body weight bands. Any other suggestions for additions are welcomed!

As always you folks rock!

Gary

Replies

• loizlane
    loizlane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hey chief! buy your Battle Ropes via Amazon.com. 50ft is a good length considering that your garage gym should be able to accommodate it. The thickness of the rope is truly your preference, 1.5" or 2" will affect your grip and the total weight of the ropes. Make certain to have a really good anchor base and then get 'er done! 1.5" thick x 50ft long goes for about $160, depending on the brand. Just dig around Amazon, search for 'Battling Ropes'... they even have how to DVDs although you can find that on youtube. Just 3 to 4 minutes of training will wipe you out, so grab your water and be prepared to kill fatty's little bro. Hope this helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I paid about $160 for a pair of 30" rope in 1.5in and 2.0in diameters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you get just a big spool of rope from Home Depot for a lot cheaper than that? Or is it different in some way... o_o
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you get just a big spool of rope from Home Depot for a lot cheaper than that? Or is it different in some way... o_o

Home Depot, Lowes and other Big Box Stores don't sell rope of this size and length! I found a place locally here in Columbus, Ohio I can get a 1.5" 50' for $125 I think this payday I'm going to pick them up! Pretty stoked about it.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've heard to look for online stores selling nautical ropes. It's still expensive.

I improvised by filling an old hose with water and sealing it. It was adequate.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    They're pretty evil LOL...had my first experience with them on Monday.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I paid @ $90 for a 50 foot 1.5 inch black rope through Amazon. I don't have an anchor and have them wrapped around the railing of my deck which is the only place big enough to fit this length in my property. They are a hell of a workout, but are frozen in the ice right now :(
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

You want a non-abrasive rope, as well as a very thick one. The 1.5" that has been mentioned is the low end (and why my DIY with the hose was barely adequate). 2" or 2.5" is better, and you're just not going to find that at Home Depot.
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bought my battle rope about a week ago. 40' x 2" set it up on my weight bench to anchor it. So I got about 3 minutes in and my God were my arms, shoulders and chest burning. I have a gymboss timer that I'm going to start using next time, so my next challenge is to build up to 20 minutes...might take a few months.