Quick healthy pick-me-ups without caffeine?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
I was up entirely too late doing homework. I haven’t had a soda in ages, so I'd like to avoid caffeine/candy, but I'm falling asleep and constantly yawning.

anyone got some suggestions for healthy pick-me-ups I can take for the next meeting?

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Raw cacao is a natural pick me up - add it to a smoothie :)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Speed.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have to sit through a 5 hr 40 min. exam and take healthy snacks with me that will keep me going and awake. I bring things like dark chocolate, sugar free peppermint if you don't want the sugar or peppermint gum, almonds, a banana, bottled water and grapes. I too have been studying all week and am up late most nights in the books. (actually been studying for a couple of months for this but really pound the books hard 2 weeks prior to the exams) My exam is Friday. This is my 2nd certification exam and its grueling. Most people bring a caffeinated drink with them to get through the test but I can't have all that caffeine but peppermint helps keep you alert.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Speed.

Yes, skip the caffeine, go straight for the ephedrine. Why mess around.
  • srhprkr87
    srhprkr87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bananas always give me a TON of energy. Probably because they have a lot of sugar. But they are still healthy!
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    An apple is apparently better at waking you up than coffee...

http://www.reference.com/motif/Food_and_Drinks/do-apples-wake-you-up-better-than-coffee
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I have read that an apple has as much effect as a cup of coffee.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My roommate worked at a vegan resturaunt with a juice bar. On Satudays when he was exhausted and hung over he and his co workers would take ginger shots at work. He said it works amazing, I don't know too much about them but I found this...

http://365painfreedays.blogspot.com/2010/07/185-have-ginger-shot.html
  • KJFairywings
    KJFairywings Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Speed.

bahahahahaha!!! love it!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    a quick workout to get your blood pumping and a hot shower :)
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like the v8 fusion natural energy drinks....all fruits and green tea helps me on my rough days:)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Exercise and a large glass of cold cold water
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you can.. get up & strech! Touch your toes, throw your arms in the air... get that blood moving!!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Peppermint is suppose to help you do better on tests as well. It's an aroma therapy thing. When I was teaching we would give it to the kids on the day of the standardized testing. If you are able to move around a bit before or during your test, that will help as well. The suggestions of fruit are good, especially apples and bananas, they seem to have more staying power.
  • cmkeene01
    Options
    ORANGE JUICE
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Ohh, I like this one. I can't work out at night, if I do I'll never get to sleep. Better than coffee for sure.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Speed.

You know, a fat line of that fun white powder would be my choice.... :laugh:

But seriously, an apple is a great natural energy booster
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

hmmmm my daily CrossFit workouts have the OPPOSITE response!!!

Thanks for the ideas gang
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "Chofee" is getting popular around here
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Peppermint is suppose to help you do better on tests as well. It's an aroma therapy thing.

Good to hear. I start out the day with a cup of hot chocolate, then a cup of peppermint tea.

Another tidbit. Coffee at 8 a.m. will leave you with a quarter of its caffeine at 8 p.m.