So NOW you decide to feel hungry.

Options
I'm trying to get more into the habit of having a snack between meals, so that I can keep my metabolism revved up. I eat breakfast before 6 am, and my lunch break isn't until 1 pm, so I think it's really important to eat something in between. So why is it that for the past two days, I haven't even felt hungry when I eat my banana, but as soon as my banana's finished, my tummy starts roaring for more food?:tongue:

Yesterday I just drank a bunch of water when this happened, and that helped the roaring to subside somewhat. I'll do the same today, since I don't have anything else on me.

Note to self: bring something with protein in it for tomorrow's snack!

So, what kinds of snacks keep you filled up between meals? Or do you find you have an easier time losing weight if you don't snack at all? New ideas are always nice!

Replies

• heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have to snack in between meals or I go overboard at meal time - my favorite filling snack right now is a slice of either swiss or mild cheddar cheese and reduced fat triscuits - one serving is 7 crackers - this snack is very filling for me and when I pair it with a big glass of water I am set until my next meal. I also like half a whole wheat english muffin with 1 TBL natural peanut butter on top - also very filling. Bananas don't seem to work for me in the snack department either - I like to have half a banana with my cereal in the morning. Apples or strawberries are my go to fruit for a snack.
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I say snack, my moringing snack is low fat yogurt w/flax seeds and a light babybel cheese. my afternoon snack is 1 oz of nuts and an apple. It can be anything, I would say stay away from foods you know leave you wanting more. veggies are a good snack too!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I usually have a pure protein bar as a snack
    or
    light string cheese and 15 raw almonds

both very filling!
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Try having peanut butter with the banana. It can be really feeling. Also drink water before you snack too.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    ooh, oooh!! Sliced apples and melted peanut butter. :blushing:
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That sounds so yummy, I wish I had some self control around pb, I'd start with 2 tbls and end up eating the whole jar it would be more like apple slices smoothered in pb :embarassed:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    That sounds so yummy, I wish I had some self control around pb, I'd start with 2 tbls and end up eating the whole jar it would be more like apple slices smoothered in pb :embarassed:

I start with one (and kind of scoop up to two) TBSP melted in Microwave for about thirty seconds. It's Divine..
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    light string cheese and 10 almonds ( very filling, very satisfying) and of course a tall glass of water
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,727 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, I'd guess being hungrier is a sign that you truly are revving up your metabolism! :happy:
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Thanks for all these ideas! I'm going to the store tonight, so I'll probably keep my eyes out for some string cheese and other things that have more protein in them.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    Eating 6 meals a day does not change your metabolism, as in it causes you to burn more calories or store less of them.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254

However it can be a good way for some to control their appetite and reduce the desire to binge at meal time. A possible cause for your stomach to start growling is if you have just started 6 meals a day then it may be programmed for any food = whole meal and is waiting for the rest of it. I personally eat 4 to 5 real meals a day as that seems to work for me to help suppress a binge urge and not feel too full after eating a healthy calorie meal if I only had 3 for the day. A simple trick for me is to make a whole sandwich for lunch but eat half of it at lunch and the other half around 2pm.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks are good,or ham,or seafood sticks. The last two are great proteiny goodness. Carrot sticks are good with a little low fat yoghurt and mint dip.
  • shadows1177
    shadows1177 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have lost 10 pounds in 5 days of being here and what I have been doing is between meals if I feel hungry I drink a bottle of water, if I am still hungry (which I usualy am since I have been working out every day and really hard) I eat something small (half a banna or other piece of fruit or a gram cracker or something) and then drink some more water, if I am still feeling the hunger then I eat the other half and have some more water. Its working really well for me!! Keeps the grumble down and I dont feel hungry. Now if I would just stop craving chips all would be well.....LOL
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,727 Member
    Options
    shadows1177, what a small world it is. You're a writer in Tacoma. I'm a copy editor in Puyallup. We are big-time animal lovers in our household. We have a couple of Shelties here and Morgan mare we board in Enumclaw (athough she actually is for sale, as our daughter, who is turning 18 in a couple of weeks, has pretty much outgrown her horse phase). Our daughter has done some volunteering for the animal shelter close to our house. Anyway, nice to meet you! :happy:
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks are good,or ham,or seafood sticks. The last two are great proteiny goodness. Carrot sticks are good with a little low fat yoghurt and mint dip.

haha, just LOVE you HOT DOG picture!! :laugh:
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Right now I am eating an apple and a string cheese. An apple alone and I would be in trouble, but throw in the cheese (protein) and I am set for a couple of hours.