Canadian having an ethical dilemma - should I go Vegan?

Options
I've been reading and watching a lot of shows about the ethical treatment of farm animals and what goes into our food and how it is affecting our health. All of these shows are about the standards in the US though (Vegucated, Food Inc., etc ...). I've always been told that "it's not like that in Canada" whenever the topic gets brought up. But no one can actually tell me what its REALLY like in Canada. I'm looking for some reliable literature, information or shows about the Canadaian standards on meat and produce, and want to know what is really happeneing on our farms and in our slaughter houses. I have found official looking documentation about our guidleines (http://www.nfacc.ca/codes-of-practice), but the information is very lengthy to read and just because these guidlines are laid out, how do I know if they actually get followed?

Going vegan would not be a far jump for me as the amount of meat that I currently eat is minimal (mostly fish and occasionally some chicken), and I love tofu. I don't even like milk so that's no problem either. I have already given up cheese, though this was mostly because of the calories. I love eggs though..If I buy eggs from a local farmer can I still consider myself a Vegan? Or i guess this would just be vegetarian. I'm not too concerned about labels though, its more about being healthy, eating clean and being kind to all living creatures..... But first I need some facts about Canada! Anyone?

Replies

• melmckay99
    Options
    hmmm anyone?

This either confirms that no one knows much about Canada, or that no one saw my post?
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not from Canada but I have to say that if our beef could taste as good as beef I've had from Canada I could never be a vegan. I'm sure no one has responded because if we don't live in Canada it would be to say what the regulations are. Did you try googling it?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I AM FROM CANADA,,, our ,meat rocks.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I'm not from Canada but I have to say that if our beef could taste as good as beef I've had from Canada I could never be a vegan. I'm sure no one has responded because if we don't live in Canada it would be to say what the regulations are. Did you try googling it?

Of course I tried googling it :). That was the first thing I did after watching these shows but there is just so much out there that I don't know what to believe. I'm looking for something more concrete I guess.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, saw your post, raised beef cattle for 30 years and don't really know what to tell you. Our animals were raised humanely but in the end does it really matter if you're only raising something to slaughter? Some people don't eat meat but will drink milk and eat eggs. Is that really any more humane? A cow can live 30 years if left to nature but the useful lifespan of a dairy cow is about 10 years so after that she's sold for slaughter for hamburger or wieners. A chicken has a natural lifespan of 7 years but 1 year is about the productive life of a layer chicken and then off she goes to be used for soup or chicken nuggets.

So if you want to be ethical and save the animals you'd need to be vegan but if everyone were vegan than you're dooming all those domesticated animals to death and extinction because they would no longer be a necessary part of life. You can't turn a bunch of cows and chickens loose to roam wild through the streets.

For me, it's not about whether they're treated ethically during their short life but whether you want to raise animals for slaughter because that's what it all comes down to in the end.
  • 1CAS
    1CAS Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with you and I live in a rural farming town and its hard for me to watch people teach their kids to raise a cow or a pig from a baby like a pet and then slaughter it and eat it. I have a 12 year old daughter and we don't eat red meat.. We do eat chicken and fish.

With so many wonderful free on line recipies than are healthy and delicious I just don't have any reason to eat or prepare meat. I have not eaten it more than a few times per year prior to my daughter.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like what you object to is industrial meat and egg production, in which case I would suggest looking for small producers of ethically-raised meat and eggs instead of going vegan. There are even companies that will ship meat to you, and since you eat so little meat to begin with, you might have an easier time managing the extra cost.

Also, keep in mind that, just because something is vegetarian doesn't mean that no suffering (animal or human) has gone into it. Animals are still used in agriculture throughout the world. Even if the produce you eat is sourced from North America, the labor standards can still be kind of loosey-goosey. They often don't apply to small farms, and, at least in the US, the system relies on illegal immigrants, who obviously are less likely to complain about labor rights abuses.
  • 1CAS
    1CAS Posts: 5
    Options
    I forgot to say..Its also expensive and just getting more and more expensive. So Why not spend that money on fruits and Veggies.
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    no if you eat eggs or any animal products you are not a vegan. there is no way to humanely slaughter a cow....you can't 'humanely' slit their throats, take and kill their babies and hang them by their legs to bleed out. humane slaughter isn't possible
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I'm in Canada, saw your post, raised beef cattle for 30 years and don't really know what to tell you. Our animals were raised humanely but in the end does it really matter if you're only raising something to slaughter? Some people don't eat meat but will drink milk and eat eggs. Is that really any more humane? A cow can live 30 years if left to nature but the useful lifespan of a dairy cow is about 10 years so after that she's sold for slaughter for hamburger or wieners. A chicken has a natural lifespan of 7 years but 1 year is about the productive life of a layer chicken and then off she goes to be used for soup or chicken nuggets.

So if you want to be ethical and save the animals you'd need to be vegan but if everyone were vegan than you're dooming all those domesticated animals to death and extinction because they would no longer be a necessary part of life. You can't turn a bunch of cows and chickens loose to roam wild through the streets.

For me, it's not about whether they're treated ethically during their short life but whether you want to raise animals for slaughter because that's what it all comes down to in the end.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping that an actual farmer would reply. I think the point of going vegan is to lessen the demand for animal products, and hence less animals would be needed and bred for food. Obviously we can't just 'free' all the farm animals we currently have, lol. That would be kinda funny though. I guess I am just looking more at the big picture....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you eat eggs, you aren't a vegan. And even though you don't like milk, it's likely that you enjoy butter IN things, so you'd have to watch out for that, too. I believe they also don't even consume honey. You could just be a vegetarian who occasionally eats animal products.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    It sounds to me like what you object to is industrial meat and egg production, in which case I would suggest looking for small producers of ethically-raised meat and eggs instead of going vegan. There are even companies that will ship meat to you, and since you eat so little meat to begin with, you might have an easier time managing the extra cost.

Also, keep in mind that, just because something is vegetarian doesn't mean that no suffering (animal or human) has gone into it. Animals are still used in agriculture throughout the world. Even if the produce you eat is sourced from North America, the labor standards can still be kind of loosey-goosey. They often don't apply to small farms, and, at least in the US, the system relies on illegal immigrants, who obviously are less likely to complain about labor rights abuses.

Yes, this is the general idea I got from the films. Industrial meat/egg/dairy production is cruel to both humans and animals...

I have found some local farmers in my area that deliver products right to your doorstep. I think doing something like this, along with maybe a visit to that particular farm to check it out, will be my first step. This is good for the local economy too!.. I work in statistics and know first hand that more and more farmers are suffering from business losses here in Canada each year.
  • Missjuly7
    Missjuly7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your decision, I've been through it before as well. For ethical reasons I was vegan for quite some time, however I now eat meat, eggs etc. No cow milk though, lol. It's a strict diet and I found it hard to maintain but have friends who live quite healthfully as vegans. Now I try to locally source everything, meat and chicken from local farmers, farmers markets and real food co-ops are great resources!