Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also really like low-fat ricotta cheese.
    with a splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of oregano on top - really yummy!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I like the Knudson 2% or the Kroger 2%. Agree with above about staying away from Great Value (Walmart brand). I mix it will some light cinnamon applesauce (little 4 oz cups). Only thing I don't like is that it is usually high in sodium.
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    i put it in my protein shakes to boost the protein cant even tell its there when made in the blender if you end up not liking it, blender it up in a drink and you will get full use of it :)
  • Diannerv26point2
    Options
    cottage cheese, I like the lucerene brand from safeway its 1% fat and no added sodium, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 2 tablspoons of peanut butter, sliced banana.. heaven in a bowl....
  • Cardob
    Cardob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Greek Yogurt? It reminds me of Cottage Cheese w/o the curds. It really does AND it is a fabulous source of protein! Much higher than regular old fashioned yogurt. I vary between cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

Yes I love Greek Yogurt, my fav is Oikos doesn't matter which flavor, and thanks for the input on the cottage cheese I will give it a try :)
  • Cardob
    Cardob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's all preference, some people like it plain with salt and pepper or with fruit. I've seen recipes for pancakes using it. I like to eat in in my eggs. I put a little butter in a pan and toss in a handful of spinach, cooking it and squishing it down to get rid of as much moisture as I can. Then, I add 1-2 tablespoons of cottage cheese into the pan and crack in 3 eggs and scramble it in the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and eat. Or....you can just mix it with your scrambled eggs before cooking. The recommended is about 1-2 tablespoons per 3 eggs....or there will be a running liquid on your plate and the eggs wont set up quite right. It makes the fluffiest eggs ever.

This sounds like a def great idea, I will try asap I love spinach... sounds good
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think they are all much of a much - i look at the label for the highest protein. I eat it most days sprinkled with oats then berries and honey - only first tried it last year.

second the egg thing - great instead of milk and cheese in scrambled eggs.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I like Friendship brand cottage cheese. The 1% whipped is really good to add to recipes for added protein boost (quiche, pancakes). I also like the 4% fat and the 2% and I eat it plain. Try it with sugar free jello or fruit if you aren't used to the taste by itself.
    Ibuy the friendship 1%fat No salt added (most cottage cheese is loaded with sodium) but this is only 60mg per serving. 16 grams of protein @ 90 calories,,, I buy 2 containers a week
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I get 2% low sodium sea salt cottage cheese. i think it's land o'lakes. I eat either with pepper or it's FANTASTIC with Sriracha hot chili sauce. I also agree that the 2% is much better than the 1% and i also drink skim milk daily. I tried the 4% from target, and that was much too thick.
  • underwoodbunch
    Options
    I use cottage cheese on a baked potato in place of butter and sour cream. It's delicious!
  • amystpierre
    amystpierre Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dairyland Cottage Cheese is the best, but just keep in mind cottage cheese is quite high in sodium, which can affect your loss if you eat too much...
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I like large curd cottage cheese, but NOT fat free. Either 2% or full fat for me. I eat it either plain or with fruit.

Eta: Any brand I've tried, I've liked, as long as it's not fat free.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I dig the Breakstone's 2% Milkfat Low Fat 30% Less Sodium Cottage Cheese. I typically don't really mix anything in with it, but I have before. I can't wrap my head around sweet cottage cheese, but chopped cucumber/green onion/sriracha is pretty tasty mixed in.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love the Country Fresh brand small curd cottage cheese with ground black pepper (and if I'm wanting some salt, I love it with some Lawry's seasoning salt added!! )
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like all cottage cheeses I have tried. I enjoy making a cottage cheese salad, with cucumber, green pepper, and some cherry tomatoes, sometimes a bit of Italian seasoning. Very yummy on top of a serving of wheat thin crackers!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Is cottage cheese meant to taste salty?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Corn chips..scoop it up.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    No Mike I'm in the US East coast, but Thank you :smile:

My favorite is friendship or hood. Low sodium is YUCK. I love the 4% the best, but that's a bit too much fat to fit into my calorie goals right now so I go with the 1% The completely fat free varieties are yucky.

Right now I'm eating Dean's 1% I find the curds to be a bit too firm for my taste, but I manage since it's all I can get here.

One trick, Is if the cottage cheese feels too dried out for you, add a tablespoon of skim milk. It does wonders for it.

Another trick is to scoop up cottage cheese with Nacho Cheese Doritos, but I suspect that that may be how I got into this mess in the first place :-P
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No need to eat it if you don't like it.

I have used it for homemade poutine... I know some use it blended up in shakes... or in lasanga.. etc.

I can't recommend any brands for you. I rarely eat it just due to the sodium and the fact that it's not my favourite thing in the world.

I used to work with a guy who would eat a tub of it... he would mix in a bit of jam and eat it that way.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cottage cheese much more when I strain the liquid overnight. I like the curd but not the watery part. To my strained cottage cheese (usually Kroger low fat) I add a pinch of italian seasoning, and granulated garlic. This I like on cucumber slices.