Lifting for Beginners

Options
I've been doing circuit training for the last couple months. I've really enjoyed the results but I think I'd like to add in some weightlifting to see what I can't do for building muscle. I just don't know where to start! What moves do I do, what's the proper form, how much weight do I use, is there a video I can follow or should I hit the library or Amazon?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Get the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" - it will give you all you need to know. I believe this is a MFP group associated with this book, so you may want to join.

Use free weights. Vary the work out. Use various compound movements (Pushes, Pulls, Squats, Deadlift). Each of these 4 movements can be done with many different exercises.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    google "Starting Strength"

youtube search "so you think you can squat"
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    The circuit training I do in my college pe class uses light weights but the muscles never really get fatigued. On my off days, I'll do one heavy lift per muscle group once a week. Bench press at 70% my body weight (bw) for 3sets/10-12reps, barbell curls at 35% bw, squats or leg press at 80% bw, seated row at 60% bw. There are several others if this sounds what you're looking for. If I am able to do more than 12 reps, I'd up the weight a bit.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Get the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" - it will give you all you need to know. I believe this is a MFP group associated with this book, so you may want to join.

Use free weights. Vary the work out. Use various compound movements (Pushes, Pulls, Squats, Deadlift). Each of these 4 movements can be done with many different exercises.

Or check out their newest New Rules of Lifting Supercharged....
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i've read good things about new rules of lifting for women, but i chose to start with Stronglifts 5x5. It's free, you can find it online. It has videos that show the proper form etc. Great compound moves with squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press and bent over rows. It's simple and a good foundation. Don't be put off by the website because it appears to be geared towards men, but there are lots of women on MFP that use it. There is a group called Stronglifts 5x5 for women.
  • abbygrit
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm excited to get started.

By the way, how do you track it in MFP? I tried entering it under "Strength" but it didn't record any calories burned. Is there a way to do that properly?
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    *bump* Gonna check this thread out later. :wink: