Best/Most Accurate Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hey all! I'm new here and I wanted to get some advice. I workout almost every day by doing various workout DVDs and I never know how many calories I burn in a workout. I'm tired of labeling every Turbo Jam workout "Kickboxing" when they are all really different. Any advice for the most accurate heart rate monitor so I can accurately keep track of the calories I burned? Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• Chrissle
    Chrissle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I need one too but I'm not ready to go chuck $150 on a decent one...any advice on decent "cheap" ones?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the sportline wrist watch style one is fairly accurate using ecg to measure heart rate and you can get your heart rate off the face anytime, very easy to use. Mine cost me $40ish dollars, also ebay has the polar womens and mens watches with chest straps they are a very good hrm as well.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've read so many old posts on here trying to figure this out too. All of the highly recommended ones are pricey... I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for".
    This is a purchase on my 'wish list'. I can't buy a decent one right now - and i'm not willing to buy a cheap piece of junk. So it waits...
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Recommend...

1. Spend around $90-100.
    2. Buy any one of the major brands.
    3. Chest strap (much more accurate).
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I just bought my wife the polar one last night for $85 delivered.
  • getinshapegirl
    Options
    I bought the Polar with chest strap at Target. It was the less expensive model and the watch feels kind of cheapy but it works.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Polar F6 on Amazon for around $90
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Recommend...

1. Spend around $90-100.
    2. Buy any one of the major brands.
    3. Chest strap (much more accurate).

I agree one with a chest strap is more accurate, check ebay I've seen some really good deals! I have a Polar FT4 and in store I paid $100 on ebay I know I've seen them around $60 some even less! I just didn't want to wait for it to come in, so I went to the store even tho I paid more
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I bought a New Balance with a chest strap on the internet for under $40 and believe it to be pretty accurate.
  • bbahmer377
    bbahmer377 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had looked at old posts and seen a lot of god things about the polar watches so that makes sense. How does the chest strap work? I've seen other people talking about it before.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Good HR monitors are on the pricey end because they are worth it. YOU would not want cheap workout shoes same with a HR monitor. I look at as an IVESTMENT in my healthy. I don't mind spending money on good workout shoes or a good HR monitor. Ever since I INVESTED in one it has changed my LIFE and my workouts! I reccomend Polar because they are a good company and if you have a problem they are pretty good had helping you out. There cheapest is around $90 and does the job. I started with a cheaper one and then after 2 yrs I INVESTED in one that was a little more expensive.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    it straps around your chest and sends the signal to the watch either wirelessly or via a wire most are wirelss though I do believe, the biggest complaint I have heard about this type though is that machines in the gym interfere with the signal making it inaccurate sometimes, I have no idea of the validity of that though.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT7 off Amazon, and am completely happy with it. the watch itself is nice and it does come with the chest strap. It is well worth the $81 I paid for it.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I have had my Polar FT7 for about 2 weeks now and I really do love it. I think that is the only way you are truly going to know the amount of calories you are actually burning. As you put in your age, weight, height for you. MFP is just a guesstimate. For instance I do a Wii Workout called my Shape and it says I am burning 500+ calories where my HRM says I am burning 297-436 depending on if I don't get interrupted and pause the game. One day I specifically remember there was a difference of 138 cal which I think is a huge difference to what I actually burned compared to what I was entering in my journal. The chest strap isn't that bad and the Polar one is adjustable and I can't even tell that I am wearing it. I paid $109 through Amazon for it and I can honestly say to me its worth it.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM Sigma PC 9 cuz it was recommended here, but I think I need to take it somewhere and have the battery chagned, as I cant' get the darn thing turned on :P
  • ukheather
    ukheather Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it
  • bbahmer377
    bbahmer377 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!! :)
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One drawback to Polar is the stupid battery in the strap. You cannot replace it when it goes, you have to buy a whole new strap. My F7 is ancient now and on that fact alone I'm looking for another brand that lets you change the band battery too :-(
  • goforth07
    Options
    One drawback to Polar is the stupid battery in the strap. You cannot replace it when it goes, you have to buy a whole new strap. My F7 is ancient now and on that fact alone I'm looking for another brand that lets you change the band battery too :-(

The Polar FT7 ($80 on amazon I think) will allow you to change the battery on both the watch and the chest strap. I got it about a month ago and have been very happy with the purchase so far.
  • Neria1235
    Options
    Does anyone have the BodyMedia Fit Link armband? I've been looking into this one, but wasn't sure how accurate it was and if it was worth the money.