1200 Calories a day, a ton of cardio and GAINING? !

Options

Replies

• boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's very confusing, but I seriously hope you get it sorted out.

Doctor sounds like a great idea.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    One question:

Do you care about your health or a number on a scale more?

My health, before I sound like too much of a whiner I will add that I FEEL 100% better since i started eating clean and excersizing nomatter what weight. And regardless of the number on the scale will never go back to my previous lifestyle, however I was looking forward to dropping some pounds when I started and thus am a little "blah" about that...

The reason I asked is because you're being entirely unhealthy. I don't harp on people not eating or JUST eating 1,200 if they aren't working out and don't lead an active lifestyle, however, you seem to be.

I guess you might not realize the damage you are doing to your body by eating 900 calories a day and burning 300-500 of those on a work out. Do you really think 400-600ish calories is enough per day to sustain healthy bodily functions for long periods of time? Do you suppose that eventually, if you continue on this course your body might start to break down?

Is seeing a number on a scale really worth it?

If you want to lose weight, listen to the people who are tell you to fuel your body by netting more calories and adding strength training.
  • Jocolette
    Jocolette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is your body fat % now?

Closer to 24 or 25%. Just using online calculators.
    If you up your cals you may well gain to start with, but once your body gets used to it you will lose again! also, if you increase your strength training you may not see losses on the scales but you WILL see losses in body fat.

I LOVE lifting lol and when I first started could see crazy growth in muscle for sure. i am just not sure what "normal" is in terms of weight gain because of muscle gain and i because i am not seeing the fat loss i was expecting i dont want to brush my weight gain off as just me getting stronger.

so.... EAT MORE! so counterintuitive but makes sense. thank you. how much time does it take if i up my intake to.1500 for the gain to balance out and start seeing results? sorry for all the questions...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you up your cals you may well gain to start with, but once your body gets used to it you will lose again! also, if you increase your strength training you may not see losses on the scales but you WILL see losses in body fat.

I LOVE lifting lol and when I first started could see crazy growth in muscle for sure. i am just not sure what "normal" is in terms of weight gain because of muscle gain and i because i am not seeing the fat loss i was expecting i dont want to brush my weight gain off as just me getting stronger.

so.... EAT MORE! so counterintuitive but makes sense. thank you. how much time does it take if i up my intake to.1500 for the gain to balance out and start seeing results? sorry for all the questions...

if you have eaten very little for a while, i would go up by 100 each week, which should minimise extra gain, until you get to 1600 maybe, and then increase again to NET 1600 cals per day (eat back your exercise calories). if you feel comfortable with it, increase quicker.

and for the record, the exercise calories that you eat always taste the nicest!!

when i first started lifting, i didnt see any gain, but i didnt see any loss on the scale, though i went down a clothes size so i know i lost inches.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I would recommend giving it a solid 4 weeks of serious consistent effort for intake. You should see something improving by then. Even if it is just your overall general feeling of wellness. It isn't going to sort itself out in a week, it may look like the numbers are going up - don't panic, just knuckle down and tick off the days til the 4 week mark.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

This may help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience?hl=patience+expect
  • lorealbies
    lorealbies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, my English isn't good, anyway I'd like to tell you something about your protein intake. It's very low!!!!!!! . Your diary shows that you are making great food choices, but you need include eggs, meat, cheese, yogurt or legumes in every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    definetly eat more, you should probably just allow the recomended settings from this site to work off of first considering your height, weight, and activity level. (it would be hard to imagine this site recomending 900 cals a day?) agreed your fat needs increased and your protien alot. (good protein calculator is times the amount of protein in 1 scoop by 4 and the calories in 1 scoop should be within10-20 or a little bit more for a good protein source, so 20 gram a scoop protein, should be like 90-100 cals per scoop also! or its just too many sugars and fillers just fyi most protein shakes are filled with an overload of crap so they taste like chocolate heaven or whatever) also try to get the FIBER up also, its really low shoot for at least 30 a day. alot of weight can be unnecessarily stored inside of us due to lack of proper fiber. and if your digestive system is not working optimally it can slow down everything. i would try particularly to keep the sugar levels low. carbs are necessary but i wouldnt go crazy on them either. just try to eat the right carbs at the right time. a little research in that area would help. looks like you foods are decent! just make these few adjustments, and if your running and weight training they will probably end up overlapping themselves like mine do. i try to seperate them and do cardio one day, then my weight sets the next, to avoid having those 800-1000 calorie burn days. cause im with ya, its hard to replenish (due to not being that hungry really) that amount of calories ontop of your daily allotted. but this site is very helpful for me to see where im at. and following it has given me really good results. 900 calories is starvation/hibernation mode. body is hanging on to every little bit more than it should because its not getting enough nutrients and calories to replace the amount of exertion your outputting or even on a daily basis in rest mode really!. and if your really serious about it, pop in at the local gym and have a BMI test done. that will give you everything you need to base your current fitness level. you base your daily calorie intake from that figure, and your caloric intake changes when you gain lose weight, so remember there are many free sites that can give you a ruff estimate, just dont forget to keep it updated as the weight starts to fall off to continue to get good results. the difference between 5-10lbs is the difference between being in a deficit?losing weight mode, and being in a maintaining mode. so if your at 150 and your calories are 1700 a day but to create a deficit you go to 1500 a day then you lose 5-10lbs that 1500 could now possibly be in the maintenance range and needs to be readjusted again to be at the right level of deficit for losing fat. blah blah blah sorry so long hoped it helps

everyone will have their own opinion on what to do when it comes to exercise. cardio is important but so is functional strength. just make sure you do not obsess on training any harder because that will not work, no amount of training will break through a nutritional barrier. it will actually create more harm than good in the long run. once you normalize your intake see where your routine takes you then. if you still dont get results and your sure your intake is solid, then it might be time to switch it up, or up the intensity level. good luck to you
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    This is the scariest food diary I've seen on MFP. First thing on your diary you're not even reaching your goal of 1200 calories a day, secondly your not eating those extra calories you earn from exercise. I'm 5ft8, 23, I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle but I'm still required to eat 1400 calories a day, I weigh 155lbs, SW was 160lbs. After exercise I can be eating anywhere between 1700 calories and 2000 calories. This is pretty interesting I came across this. I read an article the other day about a woman who was obese and she was adamant her weight had nothing to do with how she ate. Well during the week she would eat about 700 calories a day, then at weekends she would have binges. Well her body was in starvation mode so it not only clung onto those 700 calories but those extra calories she binged on at the weekend. It was only when she upped her calories and started eating like a normal person she lost weight. There's a fad idea on here that if you don't eat your exercise calories or you go under your goal that it will improve your loss, it's false and you hear endless stories on here like yours and it all it comes down not eating enough calories.
  • Jocolette
    Options
    If you have been doing this for the better part of a year as you say, and you actually are never hungry as you said, that suggests to me that your body truly isn't burning the 12-1400 calories you have been eating daily (IF you have been estimating your calories consumed accurately). Maybe you do only burn 900-1000 calories a day. The thing is, at your height and weight, you definitely should definitely be burning more than that. After a year, your body should have shown a loss.

I think you really need to go see a doctor at this point to find out why your metabolism is so slow. The fact that you increased calories consumed from 900 to 12-1400 and your body didn't adjust to that, but put on more weight, indicates to me that it may not adapt well to further raising your calories either. Some people have hormonal or thyroid issues that need to be resolved before they can up their calories and it sounds to me like you could possibly be in that group. Good luck.

This is what is so frustrating to me, at 900 calories I do not feel depleted, I run for 45 mins and burn 500 calories and am tired amd sweaty but do not feel hungry, I feel like my body is NOT using the caloroes I feed it even when I am forcing it too. WTF? ! I eat, but because I know I should not because i feel like i need to refuel. I want my body to work like a gas guzzler LMAO and I surely am excersising enough that I should need that fuel.but somehow I just dont feel that way....? So confused.
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Is that netting 1200 or your goal is 1200 and you're not eating back your workout calories? If you're not eating them back, that's your problem. With that much of a work out ever day, you need to be eating more. Check out helloitsdan's post (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) for a link and info to figure out your BMR and TDEE and what you should be eating at

It looks like your diary says your goal is 900 not 1200?

Edited cause I can't spell

I agree with this.
    Also, are you weighing your foods and measuring them correctly to make sure your calorie intake per day is accurate?

Me too I've just started IPOARM and it all completely makes sense to me! Give it a try but make sure you take a look at the spread sheet too, but just keep in mind that if you start this you may have a gain in the first few weeks but that's just while your body gets used to you feeding it the amount it needs to burn off the fat. Good luck Hun hope you get back on track soon.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing this for the better part of a year as you say, and you actually are never hungry as you said, that suggests to me that your body truly isn't burning the 12-1400 calories you have been eating daily (IF you have been estimating your calories consumed accurately). Maybe you do only burn 900-1000 calories a day. The thing is, at your height and weight, you definitely should definitely be burning more than that. After a year, your body should have shown a loss.

I think you really need to go see a doctor at this point to find out why your metabolism is so slow. The fact that you increased calories consumed from 900 to 12-1400 and your body didn't adjust to that, but put on more weight, indicates to me that it may not adapt well to further raising your calories either. Some people have hormonal or thyroid issues that need to be resolved before they can up their calories and it sounds to me like you could possibly be in that group. Good luck.

This is what is so frustrating to me, at 900 calories I do not feel depleted, I run for 45 mins and burn 500 calories and am tired amd sweaty but do not feel hungry, I feel like my body is NOT using the caloroes I feed it even when I am forcing it too. WTF? ! I eat, but because I know I should not because i feel like i need to refuel. I want my body to work like a gas guzzler LMAO and I surely am exercising enough that I should need that fuel.but somehow I just dont feel that way....? So confused.

You know, the body gets used to things. Like you used to eat a lot more, your body was used to that too and gave you only subtle signs. Perhaps not losing any weight is a subtle sign that you are doing something wrong. It's not only about losing weight, or shouldn't be. It's about being healthy and giving your body the fuel it needs to run the right way. It can still run, the wrong way, but for how long, and at what cost to your health in the long run? The body needs a base of 1200 calories a day just to breath and have bodily systems running (from everything I personally have read) so if you are getting out of bed and working out, your body needs more fuel in my opinion. I would see a doctor or nutritionist if you are unsure.
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    I also have to ask why you start breakfast at 12? Is that when you wake up?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself and as a result your body is holding on to every shred of fat/nutrition it can, rather than burning it off. I would guess if you start eating more (ie, bumping up to ~1500 cals/day) you will start to drop pounds after 3-4 weeks.

this.

i would also consider reducing your cardio in favour of full body strenght training and a little HIIT if you do want to do cardio.

Exactly.

Agreed! That's what I'm doing. Three times a week I do strength training and three times a week I do a 17 minute HIIT workout. I also eat 1500-1600 on those days.
  • Jocolette
    Options
    I also have to ask why you start breakfast at 12? Is that when you wake up?

Intermittent fasting.

Also to those who posted links, VERY helpful
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    ugh.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    this is the song that never ends....yes it goes on and on my friend.....
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Hey! I love Jamie Eason's food plan. I wasn't eating enough cals either for a long time and I gained.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html
    Try it out. It's an increase in food, but you will lose it.
    Also, I like the other suggestions on HIIT versus extreme cardio.
  • 1skinnygirltobe
    Options
    I never exercise for that reason alone!!! and i've lost 12 lbs since nov, 2012
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    As most people say, you aren't eating enough.

Follow the road map as linked in the first reply. Don't be scared of eating more, give it a few months, there might be some fluctuation to begin with but don't panic. What you've been doing recently hasn't worked so try something else.

Don't go by hunger, I've been overweight and I've suffered with under-eating, a couple of years of eating 600 calories - like you I struggled to lose so I kept cutting calories. Even then I would miss days, did I feel hungry? No. Did my body need more food? Yes.