Circuit training barefoot?

Options
Hey guys,
I wonder if it's okay to train at home barefoot? I have a carpet in my living room where I train. It just doesn't seem right to train in sneakers at home
Thanks for your answers!

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I always do 30DS at home on carpet in barefeet.

Never caused me any injuries.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I train barefoot as much as I can.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No DONT , massive distraction to the foot fetish community :D
  • tooshee
    tooshee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys, for the answers!
    No DONT , massive distraction to the foot fetish community :D
    :D I usually train when i am alone at home, so its not an issue~!
    I just never saw ANY trainer to train barefoot and was wondering if shoes are important for the training
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do my Insanity videos barefoot at home.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful if you have super plush carpet. You might not be able to stabilize yourself properly as if you had shoes on. People recommend barefoot strength training to ensure proper form but they're on a completely hard and flat surface.

I'd only be concerned about that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My orthopedic surgeon recommends going barefoot (or socks) as much as possible to strengthen the muscles in your feet. According to him a lot of foot issues are caused because we wear shoes with all kinds of support so we don't develop the muscles we need. He only suggests shoes as a barrier for going outside when you could get hurt. The man even loves Crocs!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Be careful with it, but I see no problem, I did my training with my trainer (weights and cardio) barefoot for a month after I broke a toe (and it was at her request... she didn't like to see the pain I was in wearing shoes)
  • alibabes03
    Options
    i do my workouts in my nursing crocs. im heavy so all the cushion helps! sometimes i do barefoot too.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Any workouts I do at home are done barefoot, including circuit training (ripped in 30, 30 day shred, zumba fitness, wii games, etc)
    If I wasn't worried about what was on the gym floor I'd try to train barefoot there too :wink:
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried insanity barefoot and screwed up my foot....I think it depends what workouts but you never see the people in video barefoot.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I use my Vibram 5 Fingers at the Gym (Cardio, Weights, Circuits) and out in the real world on causal days and for my home/street workouts. It has made a difference for me as I have a bad ankle (2 surgeries, technically in need of a 3rd) and it has helped to limit the pain I would experience on occasion with regular running/trainers.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this! I hate wearing shoes, especially at home. I do wear my sneakers during my workouts right now but after this thread I'll probably start doing them barefoot. Except my elliptical. It's very textured and that would hurt.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If that is you in your profile picture - you should train barefoot ALL of the time :flowerforyou: - beautiful.
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My orthopedic surgeon recommends going barefoot (or socks) as much as possible to strengthen the muscles in your feet. According to him a lot of foot issues are caused because we wear shoes with all kinds of support so we don't develop the muscles we need. He only suggests shoes as a barrier for going outside when you could get hurt. The man even loves Crocs!

My dad is an orthopedic surgeon - and you can't get the man out of his crocs! They even gave them out at one of the conferences he went to.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I mostly exercise barefoot at home. I tried using sneakers on the carpet but there was just too much friction and it tripped me up. Much easier to do it barefoot or in socks.

As someone else mentioned, some programs might be too much impact so just be careful and go with what feels ok to you.
  • tooshee
    tooshee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Your numerous replies are more than I expected :)
    to corn63, my carpet is not the puffy, but i feel like when im wearing sneakers it can slippery :(
    I am not worried about stabilizing my feet, previously I did a lot of pilates and yoga-related exercises and that got me to be able to keep balance.

And yes. I used a picture of myself for the userpic.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams (barefoot running shoes) at the gym for both cardo & weights, but I also wear them 24/7 - 365. At home, everything is done barefoot and I have wooden floors. As long as your careful (in the beginning) and have good traction, go for it.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I workout at home barefoot on carpet and hard wood floors. I always have and its never caused injuries. I think its a personal preference. I like being barefoot.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do my 30DS barefoot and whenever I do anything, like Insanity, Turbo Jam, barefoot. I have hardwood floors.
    I run on the treadmill in my socks. But I've been walking around barefoot since I was young and whenever I can, it just feels natural to me. (I was always called the little Indian girl because of it)