Meal replacement shakes

Options
Aymzc
Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
Hi

Which of these shakes do people recommend? I'd probably prefer ones that are ready mixed ie slim fast, shop own brand.

I have had some of Asda's measure up but they seem to be quite high in sugar.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Replies

• moonsforeyes
    Options
    I actually don't believe in meal replacement shakes. I think making your own smoothies/protein shakes is the way to go! (just storing them in your fridge later!)

BUT I have tried Dark chocolate special k shakes and thought they were delicious!
  • Aymzc
    Options
    I've not seen special K shakes, I'll keep my eye out and maybe think about making my own.

What is the difference between meal replacement and protein shakes or are they the same thing?
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you following any particular type of diet? If not then most of them are going to get the job done--as you noted try to find one with a low sugar count, otherwise for similar calorie counts they're all pretty identical.

The difference is if you're on a low carb diet then you'll want to focus specifically on protein shakes, rather than the more generic "meal replacement shakes". I'm on a VERY low carb diet so I focus specifically on products like the EAS AdvantEdge line or Premier Nutrition's 30g protein shakes, or even Pure Protein's 35g protein shakes. All of these have at most about 4-5g of carbs, and most of that is going to be non-sugar. They tend to fill me up pretty good (just look at my food diary if you want to see how I go thorugh my days, it should be public) and the cost is reasonable at around $1.20 each for the EAS shakes at Sams Club to around $1.55-$1.60 each for the other two shakes I mentioned.

I do use protein powders as well, but while at work I prefer to have the pre-packaged containers so I can grab one from the refrigerator and go about my day.
  • Aymzc
    Options
    I'm not on any particular diet just trying to cut out the junk and eat better to lose weight. I'll just check the labels before I buy I think to check the sugar content.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You can eat an actual meal with the same or lower calorie count as those shakes. You'll also feel satiated longer.