Running "long" distance......need help!

Options
Hi everyone!

Okay, so I'm "training" on the nikeplus.com website (y'know, the website that ties to your iPod sensor) for a 10k. I've been running pretty steady over the couple of months, but my max run in that time is about 3.5.......tomorrow, I'm "scheduled" to run 5. I know I know.....not that bad, but more than I've ever done at one time :smile:

Any thoughts or suggestions? I ran outside yesterday and I know that I hadn't drank enough water beforehand (it's pretty warm in Ohio.......finally!). Besides doing a better job hydrating tomorrow through the day, any other advice?

Thanks to all :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kristenMcP
    kristenMcP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay hydrated! Also, don't be scared to stop and walk for a little bit. Some people think they need to RUN the whole 5 miles to train for a certain distance but the point of the "long run" is to make sure that you're body can go that distance whether its walking or running.

So do your best running and if you HAVE to walk than thats ok. Just pick it back up after 30 secs to a minute of walking.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and keep your HB in the cardio zone as that will build up your stamnia much more quickly.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Don't do it :) To jump from 3.5 miles to 5 isn't recommended; you're supposed to add 10% distance each week. Other than that, stretch lots and try and maintain a steady pace.
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as to say "Don't do it". Try and run it as best you can but if you can't run the whole thing then walking is nothing to be ashamed of! Stay hydrated and try and get some good sleep tonight!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Don't do it :) To jump from 3.5 miles to 5 isn't recommended; you're supposed to add 10% distance each week. Other than that, stretch lots and try and maintain a steady pace.

i second that...but if you do go ahead and risk it, just remember that those 'little' tweaks/injuries have a habit of taking months to heal...so just stop running if you feel pain in joints/ligaments etc.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat something that 'sticks with you' before you run. I recommend oatmeal and a banana. Also, if your run is going to take you more than an hour, you may want to take some type of supplement with you. (you need supplements every 45min-1hr on long runs). I like Gu, PowerGel, etc... If you take these supplements during your run, make sure to take them with water! Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I use the Galloway method run 3 minute/ walk 1 minute. I am able to run about a 10 minute mine pace doing this or I slow it down to about 12 minute pace for longer distances. I have done distances of up to 26 miles using this method. One of my friends runs a mile and walks for a minute. She is quite a bit faster then me but it works for me and I am able to get the distances I need in my training. It is recommended that you don't add more the 10% to your training in any one jump. Make sure and drink water as you go. Enjoy
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Run if you can, walk if you have to. Keep it slow.

When I'm upping the distance I sometimes switch to a disciplined run/walk e.g. "I'll run to that tree then walk for 30 seconds" just to get used to time-on-feet.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    this was advice from a nutritionist whom specified in running/endurance. drink 20 oz water one hour prior to ur run. hydrate ever 20-30 minutes depending on the heat there after. if u decide u wanna train with gatorade...stay training with gatoraide it will accustom ur body to it(of course both or just water is fine) Im a gatorade while running drinker...get a hydration belt...they can be annoying tho but better than carrying a bottle for long miles(or even a mile hahaha) I just bought a hydration pack...which will hopefully work...if it works as well as i think it will i will push for that.. and remember to DRINK AFTER!!!! it will help relubricate ur cells and replenish any sweat...
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! These have all been really helpful.

Yesterday, I ran 3 in 28 minutes, so about a 9:30 mile. I plan wholly on my time/ mile being over 10 tomorrow, but going to try to not go much over. If I can do 5 miles in less than 55 minutes, I'll be happy. Or hell, if I just FINISH it, I should say :laugh:

I knew I'd get some "don't do it!" posts......and til now, I've always just done the 10% increases. But this "schedule" won't keep me at 5 miles, it just challenges me. Like - I'll run 5 tomorrow, then 2 days off, then 4 on Saturday, and back to 3 on Monday.

The only thing I'm truly concerned about is the heat/ humidity here....it's not TOO bad, but man oh man when that late afternoon sun hits you, it's a killer! I might try to take a water bottle with me to suck down about halfway through.......even though I know it's pain to carry one along. I might have to look into hydration belts, even though I think those still might annoy me (haha)!

You all are awesome.......hopefully I can run a mini or full in no time!
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do. First, after you finish your normal 3.5 think in your mind how awesome you are that you finished that far. Every quarter of a mile or so think, Man, I can't believe I got that far.. my body is so powerful. I am going to get these five miles and feel so awesome etc. That really helps me. Mind games is one of the number one helpers/hurts in the long distance world. Being positive really makes a difference even though it sounds silly :)
  • Flong91189
    Flong91189 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok. I hope that you will take me seriously when I say it is my goal to also run a marathon. My sister lives in Washington, and just moved away from OHIO, where I still live. The weather is really warm!, it was 90 out today so make sure you stay hydrated!!! Another thing, my sister just finished a marathon, and she told me about Jeff Galloway. You should look him up. He's 65 years old and runs marathons all of the time. He says the key is running for 4 minutes and walking for 1. He says that its the way he's been able to do it and train people to run without injury. I hope this helps.
  • nsking83
    Options
    Ok. I hope that you will take me seriously when I say it is my goal to also run a marathon. My sister lives in Washington, and just moved away from OHIO, where I still live. The weather is really warm!, it was 90 out today so make sure you stay hydrated!!! Another thing, my sister just finished a marathon, and she told me about Jeff Galloway. You should look him up. He's 65 years old and runs marathons all of the time. He says the key is running for 4 minutes and walking for 1. He says that its the way he's been able to do it and train people to run without injury. I hope this helps.

I live in Ohio, too! It has definitely been a warm week - that's my biggest fear........passing out from heat exhaustion on the road! It's supposed to be 87 today, so I may try to wait until about 6 to start tonight...........

I'll come back and let you all know how I did..........this is one of the best parts of this site, is coming back and being accountable to everyone :wink:
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Make sure you warm up first - walking, doing high knees, or something like that. And take it slow. I usually run 3 miles (have done 4.6 a couple of times) but one day I really wanted to challenge myself so I did 6.7!! And I probably could have walked faster than I jogged - but I did it! You could try going in the morning to avoid the heat and humidity. Yesterday for the first time ever I got up at 5 am and ran 3 miles. It's been really hot and muggy here too (Michigan) but the weather was excellent.

Have fun! :)
  • nsking83
    Options
    I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I made sure to stretch really well beforehand; drank 10 glasses of water throughout the day so I'd be plenty hydrated; took a Propel water with me (which, btw - carrying a water bottle is a PAIN IN THE BUTT! :noway: ); ate a little snack beforehand (a banana and a half pbj)..............

And I feel GREAT!

Each mile got a little slower.....9:39.......9:52........10:00...........10:03............10:04. But I FINISHED 5 miles, for the first time ever, in 50:16! I walked a little here and there but otherwise tried to push myself as much as possible.

Thanks to you all for your help with this. Couldn't have done it without you.............and I feel GREAT!!! Cheers to YOU guys!!! :drinker: