Adjusting MFP

Options
I have seen many threads on TDEE and all of that stuff. What I am trying to figure out is what i should put into MFP for tracking purposes.

I had my RMR tested and my basic daily calories needed for life is 2700. The test also estimated ~800 calories burned a day just for daily activities. So that puts me at 3500 a day without exercise. The test said I actually have a higher than normal metabolism for my age.

I like to work out, I just switched from doing circuit machines at the gym to strong lift 5x5 3 days a week, not sure how to estimate calories burned for those, so I usually call it 400. I also do cardio another 3 - 4 days a week for 1 hour, either walking on the treadmill or the elliptical machine. Those work outs range from 500 - 1000 calories depending on if I am doing a light session or an interval session.

So that would put me in a range for a day of 3900 - 4500 to just maintain. To lose the 1 - 2 pounds a week I need to subtract 500 - 1000 calories a day from those totals.

Now here is where I get confused with MFP, when I first set it up I let it calculate the amount and it seemed very low at 1600. I think it uses averages but since I had an actual measurement to use I wanted to go off of that but there is no place to put that in. I adjusted it once and just put in 2000 for my daily goal. Should I adjust it again and just ignore what MFP says about having extra calories from exercise? The test gave me a range to shoot for for weight loss depending on exercise or not (2100 - 2700).

I like being able to track my calories through MFP but after a month I am still trying to figure out the best set up for me. My loss seems to have stalled after my initial success and I am almost positive it is because I am not eating enough.

I try to leave a little room for error because calorie counts for both food and exercise are never 100% accurate but I think I can get a better range for myself than what I have now.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'd say eat 3000 + calories burned through exercise. You can use the estimates on here but they tend to be a little high. There are other various online calculators available.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is getting that into my head. 3000 calories a day just doesn't seem like a diet even when I see the math. plus since I am trying to eat healthier it is actually hard to eat that many calories in a day without resorting to really bad for me foods.

So then should I just set MFP to 3000 for my daily goal and ignore the things it says?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    it is actually hard to eat that many calories

In what way is it tough to choke down 3000 calories?

Here's a paltry amount of good-for-you cashews:

13964211_7130.jpg

This is barely a snack. And it's 600 calories.
  • brwnsuga6
    brwnsuga6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you want to add some calories without adding junk add some MUFA (monosaturated fats-get a list from the internet) and lean meats like chicken, pork tenderloin (lean cuts), beans, and eggs. They have plenty of calories and they make you full so you won't have to resort to bad foods. If you do decide to endulge, be sure to stay away from the process crap. Make it at home, with real ingredients and in lower fat versions. I hope that helps.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Still not sure how to put this into MFP though. Do I just put in 3000 for the daily goal and ignore it when it says I won't lose anything. At that point it just becomes a tracking tool.