Run or Dye 5k in June – Tips??

Options
I am going to be tackling my first ever 5k here in a few months. My friend talked me into it & I’m actually looking forward to it.

Any tips on how to train for it or what to do during it so I don’t keel over mid-run? :smile:

Replies

• FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    Off the top of my head one thing I know is to add a smll amoutn of jogging/running with your normal work out, then increase as much as you can until it is tim to do it.

Otherwise the best thing you can do is literally google "training for 5k", Idid that myself and have few links sinceI too am training for one right now due in April.

So I wish you luck, fun and health.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I used a training plan from my runkeeper app (also at Runkeeper.com). It was a 16 week training plan specificlly designed for a 5k. Others use the couch to 5k app and seem to really like it.

follow a training plan and have fun! Your training pace will be less than your race pace even if you don't try to make it that way - the adrenalin gets you moving for sure!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Easy, easy app called C25K for Ipod or any other device that supports apps!!! There are several and all are very similar. They start you out with walk/run combinations for 30 minutes, each week the running part gets a bit longer and the walking part a bit shorter. By the end of 10 weeks (theoritically) you are ready for a 5K run!!! It works, although some beginners find themselves repeating weeks that they found more difficult - either way it is a great program!!

Lots of MFP members are using it!!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You will do that fine a lot of people I know have tried the couch to 5k plan and have said that its good. Personally I run until I get breathless walk for a minute or two and then run again. I went from 0 to 6 miles in 12 weeks but I joined a running club and hat really helped especially running with others. The other thing is get proper trainers that and proper stretching will help prevent injury. Good luck.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    It depends on where you are starting.. the C25K program is great for beginners, I did that last fall. I'm currently doing the Hal Higdon novice 5K plan, after I let my running slack off.... he has plans for various running experience.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

You don't have to run the whole 5K, just finishing is good!
  • linnamor
    Options
    I am doing my second one in june and would recommend the couch to 5K. As other people have said you start walking with a bit of jogging and then more jogging less walking.

Good luck!!