I get so hungry after working out, but what should I eat?

Options
I've always struggled on what to eat after a workout. I get especially hungry after a workout too and I'm not the type to just snack on raw veggies unless dressing is involved. Are there any suggestions on what you fellow MPF'ers eat after a workout?

Replies

• Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled on what to eat after a workout. I get especially hungry after a workout too and I'm not the type to just snack on raw veggies unless dressing is involved. Are there any suggestions on what you fellow MPF'ers eat after a workout?

While not the case for everyone, many people in my gym (myself included) will go with a protein shake. Tends to get the job done until I can eat my next meal.
  • I love talking about what I snack on haha...

If you like veggies and dip, try a yogurt based dressing! Trader joes sells a delicious greek yogurt dip with chives and spinach, it's very tasty, and i think 45 cal per serving! Also Bolthouse has a good yogurt ranch dip as well.

You can also snack on : Cheese sticks, yogurt - greek high in protein, an apple and nuts, basically any fruit and 1/4 cup of nuts.
    I willl tell you that cheese, and nuts tend to be the most filling for me, especially the nuts!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    a can of cat food, a huff of glue, and rest is what i always follow up with...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    What you should eat at every meal

A healthy balance of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.

I usually do broccolli, sweet potatoe, and salmon.

or

Pizza
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I do a post-workout shake here as well.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    After my workout I like to have something chocolate. Milk, shakeology, protien bar, or oatmeal bar. Chocolate seems to sooth and taste great after a workout.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1 hour pre-workout so I'm not starving after. Its usually a protein bar of some sort
  • Mike3374
    Options
    Something with a good source of protein. I like a post workout protein shake or bar. They have a pretty good selection at the breakfast or health section of the store.
  • Crystallee79
    Crystallee79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    protein helps the muscles rebound from working out, as well as satisfies hunger. A protein shake with some fruit mixed in would be a perfect refreshing after-workout meal.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    fast carb, lean protein, if fat is included should be less than ten grams

I like vanilla whey + orange juice + banana or pineapple
  • NicolesMinion
    Options
    A Protein Shake....whether you are hungry or not...you should have a protein shake within 20 minutes of finishing your workout. Feed your muscles. And make that WHEY PROTEIN...or WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE. Isolate is better than Concentrate, concentrate still has lactose, fat and cholesterol in it. There are branched chain amino acids tha are easily used in protein synthesis. There are some very interesting studies about BBCAs. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:

Cota et al (1) demonstrated in 2006 that BCAAs, particularly leucine, also affect the mTOR pathway, signaling two regions of the brain. These signals decrease food intake and increase basic metabolic rate. These results led to a clinical trial by Ordman (3) to develop a nutraceutical method for controlling weight gain in humans. The potential of nutrients to signal changes in metabolism is exemplified by how BCAAs may increase muscle repair, but it is important to be aware how it may also decrease appetite.[7][8][9]
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Protein smoothie
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge raw veggies person either, but I love fruit! If you're like me, go for a Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom (dannon light and fit Greek is only 80 calories a container) and tons of protein! If I don't have that, I make a fruit smoothie using some fresh or frozen berries, a little soymilk, and ice. Crush up the ice, then put it in my blender bottle and bam instant yummy smoothie!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i always find a banana gives a quick enery boost and fills you up too! :bigsmile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Stop giving out false information.

That's clearly a preworkout nutrition meal.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Protein shake.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What you should eat at every meal

A healthy balance of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.

I usually do broccolli, sweet potatoe, and salmon.

or

Pizza

This. and make sure its from good sources too.
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A lot of pro athletes have some chocolate milk to stave off the hunger right after a workout. It gets into your bloodstream quickly, but not so quick that it gives you a sugar rush. I tend to work out right before dinner, so I don't have that problem, but if I happen to get an early workout in, I'll have yogurt, honey and almonds ready to eat, or a piece of toast with peanut butter and a glass of milk. It feels good to get some food in there, especially if it's good, clean food!
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been eating turkey jerky and a piece of baby bell light cheese or protein shake~
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

haha this.